1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Functions

1. Jan 24, 2005 #1
    Help with Functions!!

Hi everone this is my first thread and I am looking forward to particitate in PF. Anyways I need help with a question...although I found a solution but I am not sure if it is right..any help would be greatly appreaciated.
    Question - A Norman window has the shape of a rectangle surmounted by a semicircle. If the perimeter of the window is 30ft, express the area A of the window as a function of the width x of the window.
    Solution - 2x+2y=30, solvin for y; y=15/2-x
    A=Rectangle + semicircle
    A=xy + "pi"(x/2)^2
    Well....it looks pretty simple but last assignment I did, I got a low mark and I screwed up in many places....so I just want to make sure it doesnt happen again...thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi the game, warm welcome to PF ! You have found homework help paradise. :biggrin:

I'm afraid I disagree with your first equation :eek:.

You give 2x+2y=30 as the equation of the perimeter. But this looks to me like the equation for the perimeter of a rectangular window! Try working out a new perimeter equation considering the circular higher part of the window.

And keep in mind when you use the equation of perimeter and area of a circle that you are dealing with a semicircle. Hence you must divide these expressions by half! Ex: the equation of the area and perimeter of the semi-circle are respectively

[tex]A = \frac{1}{2}\pi r^2[/tex]

[tex]P = \pi r[/tex]
  4. Jan 26, 2005 #3
    Thanks quasar987....I really appreaciate your help....I love PF homework help :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?