Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Giant Hersey Kiss problem!

1. Dec 31, 2004 #1
    Nice to be back folks! I have a problem once again.. I'm not sure how to approach this one.

Have you been to the store lately? Surely you know what Hersheys kisses are! They are chocolate candies. Well, there is a GIANT hersey kiss verison available, its about 3x or so big as a normal hershey kiss. I want to figure out the total volume of one of these, but I don't know how to get the measurements needed for it.

How do I start?

(PS: I know how to integrate, etc, I just can't figure out what to measure to start integrating!)
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2004 #2
    Two methods:
    The easy method is to fill a device used for measuring liquid volumes with enough water to cover the kiss, and then carefully place the kiss underwater, measuring the difference in volume.
    The tedious method is to place the kiss in front of graph paper and mark as many points as you want. The kiss is a surface of revolution and you just find the areas of the trapezoids and rotate them.
  4. Dec 31, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think there are laws against such abuses of chocolate...
  5. Jan 1, 2005 #4

Thank you. I will try the first method, however..when it comes to real life applications, I have trouble remembering exactly what to do. I know how to do the math, but to PUT it into equations, is another question. First, how do I find the family of anti-deriviatives of the curve as the slope curves down the y axis starting at the point C, where C is some unknown constant and the upper part of the kiss should be in the form:
    [tex]f(x) = x^2 + C[/tex] until the slope of the kiss is constant, ie 0.

What exactly do I use to calcululate the area? Do I measure the diameter, then express it in terms of [tex]pi[/tex]?
  6. Jun 19, 2009 #5
    I saw complicated forumlas but i don't know if this was posted,

you could melt the giant chocolate down and using a measuring cylinder ....
  7. Jun 21, 2009 #6
    Just out of curiosity, why do you want to know the volume of a Hershey Kiss?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?