Help with Graphs Homework: Find Velocity at t=7.0s

• Thread starter Mirole
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphs
In summary, the three particles moved along the x-axis, each starting with a velocity of 10m/s at t_0 = 0s. The graphs for A, B, and C are position-versus-time, velocity-versus-time, and acceleration-versus-time graphs, respectively. Each particle's velocity at t = 7.0s was found to be negative, indicating that the particle is moving leftwards.
Mirole

Homework Statement

Three particles move along the x-axis, each starting with v= 10m/s at t_0 = 0s. The graph for A is a position-versus-time graph; the graph for B is a velocity-versus-time graph; the graph for C is an acceleration-versus-time graph.

Find each particle's velocity at t = 7.0s. Work with the geometry of the graphs, not with kinematic equations.
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5497/phys.jpg

Homework Equations

A=1/2(b)(h)
A=bh

The Attempt at a Solution

Particle A:
A=1/2(5)(50)
=125m/7s
=-17.85m/s, negative because the particle is moving leftwards.

Particle B:

Since this is a Velocity vs. Time graph, the Velocity axis shows the object to be moving at 20m/s.

Particle C:

At t=2s, the car stops(?) and begins to accelerate till t=8s. At t=7s, would the acceleration be 50m/s^2?

Can anyone check if I'm doing these correctly at all, and if not can you advise me, please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A:

Not quite. Velocity is the derivative of position - its rate of change. Find the slope of the graph at t=7 and you've got the particle's velocity.

B:

Double check that answer. Very small error, but you've got the right idea. You do just need to find the graph's value at t=7, but take another look at what that value is.

I'm not totally sure how to do C at the moment, I'll keep thinking.

A. Displacement is area under the curve ie, from the line to the x axis. So you would find the areas of the larger odd shape, and the take away the area of the small triangle then divide by t. OR think about what the slope is. it's [tex]\Delta y / \Delta x[/tex] In this case y is displacement, and x is time. So that means that the slope would be what?

B. Yes

C. In an a/t graph, area under the curve would be velocity change.

Ok, so:
A) -10m/s
B) -20m/s

I'm still a bit confused by C, do you just mean the area just under t=2s to t=7s?

A and B are correct, I'm still not sure on C.

Oh, I got it. I found the triangle area from t=2s to t=7s. Then I found the area of the rectangle underneath it. Which ended up being 125-50 = 75m/s.

Thanks for the help!

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction. It is a vector quantity, which means it has both magnitude (numerical value) and direction.

2. How do you calculate velocity?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the change in time. The formula for velocity is v = (xf - xi) / (tf - ti), where v is velocity, xf is final position, xi is initial position, tf is final time, and ti is initial time.

3. What information do I need to find velocity at a specific time?

To find velocity at a specific time, you will need the object's position at that time and its position at a previous time. You will also need the time interval between the two positions.

4. How do I interpret velocity at a specific time?

Velocity at a specific time tells you the speed and direction of an object at that moment. A positive velocity means the object is moving in the positive direction, while a negative velocity means it is moving in the negative direction.

5. Can you help me find velocity at t=7.0s?

Yes, I can help you find velocity at t=7.0s. Please provide me with the necessary information, such as the object's position at t=7.0s and its position at a previous time, so I can calculate the velocity for you.