1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with gravitation proof

1. May 3, 2009 #1

K29

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rocket accelerates to speed v0 near the earth's surface,and then coasts upwards. Show that if
    v0 = 2sqrt(gR)
    where R is the Earth's radius, then very far from the earth the rockets speed will be
    v = sqrt(2gR)

2. Relevant equations
    The only equations I have thought of that may help are:
    Escape Velocity:
    v = sqrt(2GM/R)
    Gravitational potential energy:
    U= -GMm/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have attempted using energy conservation and solving for v, however the answer appears far from that required.
    This lead me to think that perhaps linear approximation may be required but I am unsure how I would apply (1+x)n = 1+nx for x<<1 in this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi K29! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ :wink:)
    Yes, those equations should do it …

but they use G, not g …

so what is the formula connecting G and g (and R)? :smile:

4. May 4, 2009 #3

K29

Ah yes. Thank you. All I needed to do was manipulate the final answer that I had from enegry conservations a tiny bit and then substitute that formula in

uhm as a new user,... am I meant to reply once I've got an answer??
    I like the style of answering questions. Better than just copying an answer. "Help" is the way to go. At least that way I know where I've gone wrong

5. May 4, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi K29!

Yes, it's friendlier if people reply. :smile:

Otherwise we tend to assume that they got a complete answer to the same question on another site, and never bothered with the hints from this site. :rolleyes:

The hints, btw, are the characteristic policy of PF … Greg Bernhardt :smile: reckons that members learn better if they have to do most of the work themselves!

See you around! :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook