1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Griffiths Electrodynamics

1. Sep 6, 2004 #1
    I've been brushing up on electrodynamics before I start grad school when I encountered problem 5.42 in Griffith's Electrodynamics. I can get everything correct except the coefficient to work out. Any one know where I can find a solution to this problem?
    ----------------------------------------
    "Not everyone has the book"

I never thought of that. Thanks for the advice. Well,

The problem. A spinning spherical shell with radius "R" and constant charge density "sigma" is rotating with angular velocity "w" in the z direction. What is the magnetic force between the nothern hemisphere and the southern hemisphere (I'm assuming north is on the positive side of the z axis, and south is the negative side of the z axis)?

Thanx
    BTW has anyone been looking at the Google problems advertised in the Physical Review?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It might help if you said what the problem is - not everyone would have a copy of that particular text.

4. Sep 21, 2004 #3
    I have a solution manual that I can sell you.

please email me:

spock0149@hotmail.com

thanks.

5. Oct 1, 2004 #4
    Problem:

Calculate the magnetic force of attraction between the northern and southern hemispheres of a spinning charged spherical shell. (ex. 5.11)

My Solution:
    Look at example 5.11 a the book. It is calculated that the field in the spherical shell is uniform:
    [tex]B=\frac{2}{3}\mu_0\sigma R \omega[/tex]
    If you displaced the hemispheres by a tiny bit [tex]\Delta x[/tex]
    you create a gap of volume [tex]\pi R^2 \Delta x[/tex]
    We can assume the field stay more of less uniform. (This is not an approximation when we take the limit later).
    So the energy in the field in the gap is: (took me a while to look up the eqn for T, energy density, in SI unit:)
    [tex]\Delta U=T\times \Delta V=\frac{1}{2}\frac{B^2}{\mu_0}\times \pi R^2 \Delta x[/tex]
    [tex]\Delta U=\frac{1}{2}\times\frac{4}{9}\mu_0 \sigma^2 R^4 \omega^w \pi \Delta x[/tex]
    So the force is:
    [tex]F=-\frac{\Delta U}{\Delta x}=-\frac{2}{9}\pi \mu_0 \sigma^2 R^4 \omega^2[/tex]

...Interesting, I didn't get the factor of [tex]\frac{1}{4}[/tex] either...
    Is this what you got?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  6. Nov 2, 2004 #5
    Hi, I'm having trouble with part b of problem 5.46 from the same text. Any help would be nice :-D

Problem 5.46: Magnetic field on the axis of a ciruclar current loop is far from uniform (it falls off sharply with increasing z). You can produce a more nearly uniform field by using two such loops a distance d apart.

part b: Find d such that second partial derivative of B with respect to z is zero when z = 0.

I can get it so that the second partial derivative equals zero, but my answer does not match the book's answer.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2004
  7. Nov 3, 2004 #6
    Hey!

Here is my solution:

From a)
    Let u be the permeability of free space
    B=u*I/2*R^2(1/(R^2+(z+d)^2)^3/2+1/(R^2+(z-d)^2)^3/2)
    dB/dz=-3u*I/2*R^2((z+d)/(R^2+(z+d)^2)^5/2+(z-d)/(R^2+(z-d)^2)^5/2)
    For simplity let H=(z+d)/(R^2+(z+d)^2)^5/2+(z-d)/(R^2+(z-d)^2)^5/2
    when dH/dz=0 is d^2B/dB^2=0
    dH/dz=[1/(R^2+(z+d)^2)^5/2+(z+d)*d/dz(1/(R^2+(z+d)^2)^5/2)+
    1/(R^2+(z-d)^2)^5/2+(z-d)*d/dz(1/(R^2+(z-d)^2)^5/2)]=...=
    [1/(R^2+(z+d)^2)^5/2-5(z+d)^2/(R^2+(z+d)^2)^5/2+1/(R^2+(z-d)^2)^5/2-5(z-d)^2/(R^2+(z-d)^2)^5/2]

Gives
    dH/dz(0)=2/(R^2+d^2)^5/2-10d^2/(R^2+d^2)^7/2=0

And d=R/2 ->B(0)=u*I/2*R^2(2/(R^2+1/4R^2)^3/2)=8u*I/(5*sqrt(5)*R) And this equals the answer in my book.

I hope this will help you

8. Nov 3, 2004 #7
  9. Nov 5, 2004 #8
    Speaking of griffiths - if anyone comes up with a stumper nobody here can solve, he's my current physics prof, and I talk to him on a daily basis. You wouldn't believe how much his writing sounds like his talking :)

10. Nov 5, 2004 #9
    Ehh, another Reedie :). . .

I'm not too sure David'd be happy to hear of these solution manuals floating around in cyberspace

11. Nov 5, 2004 #10
    Indeed. I hope most of the tough parts are left "as an exercise for the reader" :)

12. Nov 6, 2004 #11
    How is Griffiths as a prof anyway? It's kind of cool having him be your professor... he's pretty much cornered the undergrad physics textbook market on QM ad E&M I think.

I'm glad John David Jackson is retired though. I wouldn't wanna take E&M from him! (That is, if I only wanted a high grade)

13. Nov 6, 2004 #12
    His "Introduction to particle physics" is pretty swell as well.

14. Nov 6, 2004 #13
    He's fun as a prof, explains things in detail and so on, and keeps the informal attitude that's prevalent throughout his books. Sometimes he goes just a bit slow, but I guess that's connected with his wish to be as clear as possible about everything - he does make sure you're grasping what's going on. Funny thing is, though, even though I'm a physics major, I've only really taken what is pretty much a mathematical methods class from him, so I don't know that well what he'd be like in a real physics course. Will find out next year.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?