Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help With Heat Flow

1. Nov 15, 2004 #1
    I got 2 questions and I have no idea what they are asking so hopefully someone can help me out here.

1. Find the temperature equilibrium lines and flow lines for :

Its just a graph of a circle in the complex plane of radius 1. The 4 points on the axes are labeled and it says 0 degress celsius in the first quadrant and 100 degress celsius in the 2nd quadrant.

2. Find the temperature equilibrium lines and flow lines for :

It looks like a thermometer that extends along the y axis from 1 to 3. Right below the x axis it says 0 degress and at the top of the thermometer it says 100 degress.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2004 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Heat flows in the direction of the thermal gradient, while the temperature equilibrium lines are isotherms (constant temperature).

4. Nov 15, 2004 #3
    The problem is I dont really understand what is being asked here. Can you give me a little more info on how to do this problem.

5. Nov 16, 2004 #4
  6. Nov 16, 2004 #5
    Anyone got anything. I gotta hand this in by tomorrow afternoon.

7. Nov 16, 2004 #6
    Anyone. I have no idea what he is asking in this problem.

8. Nov 16, 2004 #7
    Ive come to the conclusion that for the first problem I think its two infinintly long parallel plates one at y=1 and one at y=3 so that T(x,y)=50y-50 and that heat flows vertically in the negative y direction along lines x=const. For the second problem I still have no idea. Is it implied that the right side of the circle is at 0 degrees while the left side is at 100 degrees. I think thats what the ticks at i and -i are for as there are not ticks at 1 and -1 but what does this mean. I cant write a formula for the temperature because it varies between different parts of the circle in relation to the radius. Can someone please help me with these questions.

9. Nov 16, 2004 #8

Astronuc

The heat flow lines are perpendicular to isothermal (lines of constant temperature, or temperature equilibrium lines).

Heat flows from high temperature (100°C) to low (0°C).

In problem 1, is the circle supposed to be a conductor?

If the boundaries are at the temperatures specified in the quadrants, then you will have a discontinuity at the point on the circle on the vertical axis.

With symmetric boundary conditions, a point equi-distant from the two temperatures will have a temperature as the average of the two - think in terms of symmetry - where would the temperature be 50°C?

10. Nov 16, 2004 #9
    Would the temperature be 50 on the vertical axis. Would the temperature equilibrium lines just be vertical lines within the circle.

11. Nov 16, 2004 #10

Astronuc

As far as I can tell the upper left portion of the circle/disk is at 100°C, and the upper right portion is at 0°C, each is an isotherm.

If the vertical axis is an isotherm of 50°C, then the isotherms in between must transition from a straight line to a circular arc - right?

In problem 2, it seems to be a linear geometry. So the flow lines must be along the axis and the isotherms are perpendicular (horizontal). Again think symmetry.

The same applies to electric potentials - think of equi-potentials.

Have you done much with vector fields and potentials, yet?

12. Nov 17, 2004 #11
    Well then what would the temperatures of the 2 other portions of the circle be. Do you think you can edit my picture showing me where the isotherms would be.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?