1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with homework part 1

1. Jul 10, 2005 #1
    If anyone could help me with my homework I would GREATLY appreciate it. I am totally lost. There are 2 questions. If you could tell me what/how to do it, I'd be happy to do it. I just need to know how. Thanks so much

Here is part 1:

A .102 kg block sliding on a frictionless surface with initial velocity of .70 m/s slams into a spring at a horizontal coordinate Xo = 0. The spring brings the block to a stop (v=0) at some coordinate X. Use the conservation of mechanical energy to find the stopping distance.

note: since the spring resists with force F=kx the potential energy is Ep=Fx x=kx^2 where k is called the force constant we'll use k = 4.45 N/m

m=.102 kg
    Vo=.70 m/s
    k=4.45 N/m
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

The block will start with only kinetic energy and then it will end up only with spring potential energy.
  4. Jul 10, 2005 #3
    as you should know

Kinetic Ek = 1/2 mv^2
    Spring Es = 1/2 kx^2 i think, or is it kx^2

either way, it should be in your book, look it up
  5. Jul 10, 2005 #4

Homework Helper

The spring's potential energy upon compression by X is given by [itex]\frac{1}{2}kX^2[/itex]

Equate the block's initial Kinetic Energy to the final potential energy stored in the spring to solve for X.
  6. Jul 10, 2005 #5
    I am still lost. Can anyone explain it on a more elementary level? I've been at this for about 10 hours and my brain is fried. I checked the book but it isn't telling me much.
  7. Jul 10, 2005 #6

Homework Helper

What is the law of conservation of energy ? What is Kinetic Energy (KE), and what is Potential Energy (PE) ? What happens to the block's KE when it encounters the spring's resistance. When the spring gets compressed, what happens to its PE ? When the block has slowed to a complete standstill, its KE is zero, so where has that energy gone ? What can you say about the PE stored in the spring ?

Start by answering those questions, then put the equations in.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?