How Do You Calculate Stopping Distance Using Conservation of Mechanical Energy?

• Thread starter pmfinnegan2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the block slides down a frictionless surface and hits a spring at 0.70 m/s. The spring lifts the block to a stop at some coordinate, and the block has potential energy in the spring.
pmfinnegan2
If anyone could help me with my homework I would GREATLY appreciate it. I am totally lost. There are 2 questions. If you could tell me what/how to do it, I'd be happy to do it. I just need to know how. Thanks so much

Here is part 1:

A .102 kg block sliding on a frictionless surface with initial velocity of .70 m/s slams into a spring at a horizontal coordinate Xo = 0. The spring brings the block to a stop (v=0) at some coordinate X. Use the conservation of mechanical energy to find the stopping distance.

note: since the spring resists with force F=kx the potential energy is Ep=Fx x=kx^2 where k is called the force constant we'll use k = 4.45 N/m

Given:
m=.102 kg
Vo=.70 m/s
Xo=0
k=4.45 N/m
v=0

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The block will start with only kinetic energy and then it will end up only with spring potential energy.

as you should know

Kinetic Ek = 1/2 mv^2
Spring Es = 1/2 kx^2 i think, or is it kx^2

either way, it should be in your book, look it up

The spring's potential energy upon compression by X is given by [itex]\frac{1}{2}kX^2[/itex]

Equate the block's initial Kinetic Energy to the final potential energy stored in the spring to solve for X.

I am still lost. Can anyone explain it on a more elementary level? I've been at this for about 10 hours and my brain is fried. I checked the book but it isn't telling me much.

What is the law of conservation of energy ? What is Kinetic Energy (KE), and what is Potential Energy (PE) ? What happens to the block's KE when it encounters the spring's resistance. When the spring gets compressed, what happens to its PE ? When the block has slowed to a complete standstill, its KE is zero, so where has that energy gone ? What can you say about the PE stored in the spring ?

Start by answering those questions, then put the equations in.

What is the best way to approach homework assignments?

The best way to approach homework assignments is to create a schedule and prioritize your tasks. Make a list of all the homework that needs to be completed and start with the most important or difficult assignments first. This will help you manage your time effectively and ensure that all assignments are completed on time.

How can I stay focused and motivated while doing homework?

Staying focused and motivated while doing homework can be challenging, but there are a few strategies that can help. Create a designated study space, eliminate distractions, and take breaks when needed. It can also be helpful to set specific goals for each homework session and reward yourself after completing them.

What should I do if I don't understand the homework assignment?

If you don't understand the homework assignment, don't panic. First, try to reread the instructions and see if that clarifies anything. If you still don't understand, reach out to your teacher or classmates for help. You can also use online resources or tutoring services to get a better understanding of the material.

Is it okay to ask for help with homework?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help with homework. In fact, seeking help when needed shows that you are dedicated to understanding the material and completing the assignment to the best of your ability. Just make sure you are not relying on others to do the work for you, as this will not benefit your learning in the long run.

How can I manage my time effectively to complete all of my homework?

To manage your time effectively for homework, it is important to prioritize your tasks and create a schedule. Make sure to also take breaks and avoid procrastination. If you find that you are consistently struggling to manage your time, consider reaching out to a teacher or counselor for additional support and strategies.