1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with homework part 2

1. Jul 10, 2005 #1
    If anyone could help me with my homework I would GREATLY appreciate it. I am totally lost. There are 2 questions. If you could tell me what/how to do it, I'd be happy to do it. I just need to know how. Thanks so much

Here is question 2:

A 5.5 kg mass is dropped at a constant velocity thru a vertical displacement of 2.0 m over a time interval of 4.0 seconds.

How much potential energy (joule) has it given up?
    What is the power (watt) output?

If that power output was kept up for 24 hours how many kWhr of energy would be produced?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2005 #2

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

"How much potential energy (joule) has it given up?"

Gravitational potential energy is equal to mgh, so the change is [tex] \ mg \Delta\ h [/tex].

"What is the power (watt) output?"

The power is the time rate of change in energy. Since the forces are constant throughout the process, this can be found by dividing the total energy change by the length of time.

"If that power output was kept up for 24 hours how many kWhr of energy would be produced?"

This is just multiplying the power output by the time, but paying attention to units.

4. Jul 10, 2005 #3

Ok, based on what you are telling me I came up with:
    How much potential energy (joule) has it given up? = 107.8 J
    What is the power (watt) output? = 26.95 W
    If that power output was kept up for 24 hours how many kWhr of energy would be produced? = 646.8 kWh

Am I doing it correctly?????????

5. Jul 10, 2005 #4

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

Pretty much correct, but you didn't switch to kilowatts, so your last answer is off by a factor of 1000.

6. Jul 10, 2005 #5

Thank you, I did forget to do that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?