How to Calculate Potential Energy and Power Output of a Falling Mass

• Thread starter pmfinnegan2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary: Overall, the conversation is about a student needing help with their homework, specifically two questions related to potential energy and power output. They are given a scenario involving a mass being dropped and asked to calculate the energy and power involved. The expert explains how to calculate these values and reminds the student to pay attention to units. The last question involves converting the power output to kilowatts and calculating the total energy produced over a period of 24 hours. In summary, the conversation is about calculating potential energy and power output for a given scenario and converting between units.
pmfinnegan2
If anyone could help me with my homework I would GREATLY appreciate it. I am totally lost. There are 2 questions. If you could tell me what/how to do it, I'd be happy to do it. I just need to know how. Thanks so much

Here is question 2:

A 5.5 kg mass is dropped at a constant velocity thru a vertical displacement of 2.0 m over a time interval of 4.0 seconds.

How much potential energy (joule) has it given up?
What is the power (watt) output?

If that power output was kept up for 24 hours how many kWhr of energy would be produced?

Physics news on Phys.org
"How much potential energy (joule) has it given up?"

Gravitational potential energy is equal to mgh, so the change is [tex] \ mg \Delta\ h [/tex].

"What is the power (watt) output?"

The power is the time rate of change in energy. Since the forces are constant throughout the process, this can be found by dividing the total energy change by the length of time.

"If that power output was kept up for 24 hours how many kWhr of energy would be produced?"

This is just multiplying the power output by the time, but paying attention to units.

LeonhardEuler said:
"How much potential energy (joule) has it given up?"

Gravitational potential energy is equal to mgh, so the change is [tex] \ mg \Delta\ h [/tex].

"What is the power (watt) output?"

The power is the time rate of change in energy. Since the forces are constant throughout the process, this can be found by dividing the total energy change by the length of time.

"If that power output was kept up for 24 hours how many kWhr of energy would be produced?"

This is just multiplying the power output by the time, but paying attention to units.

Ok, based on what you are telling me I came up with:
How much potential energy (joule) has it given up? = 107.8 J
What is the power (watt) output? = 26.95 W
If that power output was kept up for 24 hours how many kWhr of energy would be produced? = 646.8 kWh

Am I doing it correctly?

Pretty much correct, but you didn't switch to kilowatts, so your last answer is off by a factor of 1000.

LeonhardEuler said:
Pretty much correct, but you didn't switch to kilowatts, so your last answer is off by a factor of 1000.

Thank you, I did forget to do that.

What is the purpose of "Help with homework part 2"?

The purpose of "Help with homework part 2" is to provide assistance to students who may be struggling with their homework assignments. This can include explaining difficult concepts, providing additional resources, or offering guidance on how to approach a problem.

How can "Help with homework part 2" benefit students?

"Help with homework part 2" can benefit students by helping them understand and complete their homework assignments, leading to improved grades and a better understanding of the material. It can also help build confidence and critical thinking skills.

Who can benefit from "Help with homework part 2"?

"Help with homework part 2" can benefit students of all ages, from elementary school to college. It can also be useful for students of all academic levels, whether they are struggling or excelling in their studies.

What subjects are typically covered in "Help with homework part 2"?

Subjects covered in "Help with homework part 2" can vary, but commonly include math, science, English, history, and foreign languages. However, the specific subjects covered will depend on the expertise of the person providing the help.

How can I access "Help with homework part 2"?

"Help with homework part 2" can be accessed through various means, such as online tutoring services, study groups, or seeking help from a teacher or tutor. Some schools may also offer after-school homework help programs.