What is the Power Output of a Bird's Song?

In summary, the bird is emitting sound waves in all directions. At a distance of 1 m, the sound waves cover an area of 3.52x10^-5.
PHYclueless
Hello. I was hoping someone could give me a direction to go with this homework problem. I'm having trouble trying to figure it out. Here's the question:

Two people relaxing outdoors listen to a bird sing. One person, only 1.00m from the bird, hears the sound with an intesity of 2.80x10^-6 W/m^2. (a) What is the power output of the bird's song? (b) What intensity is heard by a second person, which is 4.25m from the bird?

The answer I get doesn't correlate with the correct answer given. This is what I did for the first part. I can't solve the second part w/o the correct power from the first.

Intensity=Power/Area
P=IA
P=2.80x10^-6(1m) = 2.80x10^-6

Can anyone give me a clue of another direction to go? The answer for part (a) is 3.52x10^-5.

Thank you! :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the bird as a point source of sound emanating in all directions. At a distance of 1 m, how much area does the sound cover?

Thank you so much for your help. So basically I need to use pi(r^2) and r would =.5m.

I have two more questions but will post them seperatly as they relate to thermal processes and heat as it relates to energy.

Thanks again for your help.

Not at all ... the BIRD is in the CENTER of a sphere of sound (it is emitting),
the listener is at the EDGE of the sphere (at one wave front).
The Power from the bird into sound waves , from 1/340 second ago ,
has spread to cover the entire surface of the sphere.

Did you draw a diagram of this situation?

PHYclueless said:
Thank you so much for your help. So basically I need to use pi(r^2) and r would =.5m.

No. What is the formula for surface area of a sphere ?

Got it! Thank you. I was thinking of it as an area of a circle instead of a sphere and after you said that it made me realize I needed to use a different formula. I=Pav/4(pi)(r^2).

Thanks to you both :). Appreciate it.

1. What exactly do you need help with for your homework problem?

It would be helpful if you could provide specific details about the problem you are struggling with. This can include the subject, specific equations or concepts, and any steps you have already taken to try and solve it.

2. Can you give me an example of how to solve a similar problem?

I would be happy to provide an example of a similar problem and walk you through the steps on how to solve it. This can help you better understand the concept and apply it to your current problem.

3. How can I check my work and make sure I am on the right track?

One way to check your work is by using a different method or formula to solve the problem. You can also ask a classmate or teacher to review your work and provide feedback. Additionally, online resources such as calculators or step-by-step guides can also be helpful.

4. I am feeling overwhelmed with my homework. How can I manage my time better?

It is important to prioritize your tasks and set a specific amount of time for each assignment. Break down larger problems into smaller ones and tackle them one at a time. Taking breaks and staying organized can also help with managing your time effectively.

5. I don't understand the material at all. What should I do?

If you are struggling to understand the material, it is important to seek help from your teacher or a tutor. They can provide additional explanations and resources to help you better grasp the concepts. It is also helpful to practice and review the material regularly.