Help with homework question

• Thread starter nelly42688
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of the initial velocity of a tennis ball thrown above the horizontal, given that it takes 0.50 seconds for the ball to reach the top of its trajectory. The experts suggests using the equation v = a*t to calculate the vertical component of velocity, which is equal to 4.9 m/s. They also mention using the equation R = (Vo*cosθ)*t to find the range, which in this case is 8.5m. Finally, they suggest using the equation Vy/Vx = tanθ to find the angle, and mention that it could have been simpler to use the equation Vo = 2*4.9 if the angle was known. The conversation ends with
nelly42688
1. A tennis ball is thrown from ground level with velocity directed above the horizontal. If it takes the ball 0.50 s to reach the top of its trajectory, what is the magnitude of the initial velocity? You should draw a diagram to show this problem in your explanations.

i no that Ax=0 Ay=-9.8 i have all the equations just I don't know which to use, once i figure taht out i should be fine any help would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

If you know how long it took for acceleration to reduce the velocity to 0 at the top of the trajectory, then you know the vertical component of velocity.

v = a*t

You know a and t.

But without further info about what happens in the x direction or the angle, that's about all you can tell is the vertical component.

so basically magnitude would be 4.9m/s since your dividing gravity by .5?

or would it be 9.8 since the total flight path is 1 second... this is where i get confused

Now for finding the ragne i know the R= (VoCOS(30))T which in this case would be 8.5m

I know i didnt explain well how i got these figures but its hard to type it all out on a keyboard. any help would be great and thank you in advance

Last edited:
nelly42688 said:
so basically magnitude would be 4.9m/s since your dividing gravity by .5?

This is correct.

nelly42688 said:
or would it be 9.8 since the total flight path is 1 second... this is where i get confused

Now for finding the ragne i know the R= (VoCOS(30))T which in this case would be 8.5m

I know i didnt explain well how i got these figures but its hard to type it all out on a keyboard. any help would be great and thank you in advance

Now that you have revealed that the range is 8.5m then you can use the total time - which is twice the time to max height to determine the Vx. In this case since time is 1 sec, that makes Vx 8.5 m/s.

So there you have it.

The initial V is (Vx2 + Vy2)1/2

And if you didn't know θ, the angle is given by Vy/Vx = tanθ

Since it turns out you knew θ, you could have simply said 4.9 = Vo*sin30 or Vo = 2*4.9

Maybe next time post the whole problem?

ah sorry i thought i put θ in there, sorry about that but thank you so much for your help, you answered a lot of questions for me that i just didnt understand.

What is the best way to ask for help with a homework question?

The best way to ask for help with a homework question is to be specific and provide all necessary information. This includes the subject, the specific problem, and any relevant materials such as class notes or textbook pages. It is also helpful to explain what you have already tried and where you are stuck.

Can I get help with any type of homework question?

Yes, you can get help with any type of homework question. However, it is important to remember that the purpose of homework is to assess your understanding and knowledge of the subject. Therefore, it is important not to rely solely on getting answers from others, but to also try to figure out the problem on your own.

Is it okay to ask for help with homework online?

Yes, it is okay to ask for help with homework online. There are many reputable websites and forums where you can ask for help and receive assistance from knowledgeable individuals. However, it is important to be cautious and make sure you are not plagiarizing or violating any academic integrity policies.

How can I use the help I receive to improve my understanding of the subject?

The best way to use the help you receive is to carefully review the explanation or solution provided and try to understand the steps and concepts involved. You can also ask for clarification if needed. This will not only help you complete your current homework assignment, but also improve your understanding of the subject in the long run.

What should I do if I do not understand the help I receive?

If you do not understand the help you receive, you can ask for further explanation or clarification. You can also try to find additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to help you better understand the concept. It is important to keep trying and not give up until you fully understand the material.