Solve Rocket & Lighthouse Problems: Height, Speed, Distance | HW Help"

• Thread starter jwang023
  • Start date
In summary, there are two problems being discussed in this conversation. The first problem involves a model rocket that rises with constant acceleration to a height of 3.9 meters and has a speed of 28.0 m/s at that point. The question asks for the time it takes for the rocket to reach this height and the magnitude of its acceleration, as well as the height and speed of the rocket after 0.10 seconds after launch. The second problem involves a lighthouse that is 49 ft above the surface of the water and sits on a rocky cliff that extends 19 feet from its base. A sailor on a boat sights the top of the lighthouse at 30 degrees above the horizontal, and the question
jwang023

Homework Statement

Problem 1: A model rocket rises with constant acceleration to a height of 3.9 meters, at which point its speed is 28.0 m/s. How much time does it take for rocket to reach this height? What was magnitude of rocket's acceleration? Find the height and speed of the rocket after 0.10 seconds after launch.

Problem 2: A lighthouse that rises 49 ft above the surface of the water sits on a rocky cliff that extends 19 feet from its base. A sailor on a boat sights the top of the lighthouse at 30 degrees above the horizontal. If the sailor's eye level is 14 feet above the water, how far is the ship from the rocks?

Please help. Much appreciated!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Relevant equations are here:
[tex]\cos\theta=\frac{adjacent}{hypotenuse}[/tex]
[tex]\sin\theta=\frac{opposite}{hypotenuse}[/tex]
[tex]\tan\theta=\frac{opposite}{adjacent}[/tex]
[tex]v_f=v_i+at[/tex]
[tex]x_f=x_i+.5(v_i+v_f)t[/tex]
[tex]x_f=x_i+v_it+.5at^2[/tex]
[tex]v_f^2=v_i^2+2a(x_f-x_i)[/tex]
Move and equate variables as needed. a is a problem specific constant for all equations.

Thank you

1. What should I do if I am having trouble with a homework problem?

If you are having trouble with a homework problem, the first thing you should do is try to understand the problem and its requirements. Make sure you have all the necessary information and resources. If you are still struggling, don't hesitate to reach out for help from your teacher, classmates, or a tutor.

2. How do I know if my answer to a homework problem is correct?

The best way to know if your answer to a homework problem is correct is to double check your work and compare it to the provided answer key or solution. You can also ask for feedback from your teacher or peers to ensure your understanding of the problem.

3. What should I do if I am stuck on a homework problem and don't know how to proceed?

If you are stuck on a homework problem, try breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Look for patterns or connections to similar problems you have solved before. You can also try collaborating with classmates or seeking help from a teacher or tutor for further clarification and guidance.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for homework assignments?

To improve your problem-solving skills for homework assignments, practice regularly and actively engage with the material. This may include reviewing notes and class materials, attempting practice problems, and seeking help when needed. Additionally, try to approach problems from different angles and think critically about possible solutions.

5. What resources are available for me to get help with homework problems?

There are various resources available for students to get help with homework problems. These may include office hours with teachers, study groups with classmates, online tutorials, and tutoring services. Additionally, many textbooks and online learning platforms offer additional practice problems and solutions for students to use.