Help with identity for ideals

• Thread starter learningphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof involving an epimorphism and inverse image ideals. The first part of the proof shows that the product of inverse image ideals is a subset of the inverse image of the product of ideals. The second part of the proof, however, is proving the reverse direction and requires using the fact that \phi is an epimorphism. The conversation ends with a discussion about the notation used in the proof and how it relates to the concept of pairwise product.
learningphysics
Homework Helper
I'm trying to prove this problem out of Allan Clark's Elements of abstract algebra.

Given an epimorphism [tex]\phi[/tex] from R -> R'
Prove that:

[tex]\phi^{-1}[/tex](a'b') = ([tex]\phi^{-1}[/tex]a')([tex]\phi^{-1}[/tex]b')

where a' and b' are ideals of R'

I had no trouble showing that ([tex]\phi^{-1}[/tex]a')([tex]\phi^{-1}[/tex]b') is a subset of [tex]\phi^{-1}[/tex](a'b'). But I'm having trouble with the forward direction. I'd appreciate any help/hints. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
learningphysics said:
Prove that:

[tex]\phi^{-1}[/tex](a'b') = ([tex]\phi^{-1}[/tex]a')([tex]\phi^{-1}[/tex]b')

where a' and b' are ideals of R'
What does the juxaposition of the inverse image ideals mean?

I had no trouble showing that ([tex]\phi^{-1}[/tex]a')([tex]\phi^{-1}[/tex]b') is a subset of [tex]\phi^{-1}[/tex](a'b'). But I'm having trouble with the forward direction. I'd appreciate any help/hints. Thanks.
Again, I do not understand the juxtaposed notation. But I can tell you this immediately. In your first part of proof did you use the fact that [tex]\phi[/tex] was an epimorphism? I think not. Now for the reverse direction you need to use that fact.

Kummer said:
What does the juxaposition of the inverse image ideals mean?

Again, I do not understand the juxtaposed notation. But I can tell you this immediately. In your first part of proof did you use the fact that [tex]\phi[/tex] was an epimorphism? I think not. Now for the reverse direction you need to use that fact.

The juxtaposed notation is the direct product of sets.

Thanks Kummer. I'll think about this a little more.

Last edited:
it is nit the direct product is it? it shoukld be the product of the dieals, which means the ideal generated by the set of all pairwise products of elements. and have you used the hypothesis of surjectivity?

mathwonk said:
it is nit the direct product is it? it shoukld be the product of the dieals, which means the ideal generated by the set of all pairwise products of elements. and have you used the hypothesis of surjectivity?

Sorry, yes you're right it's not the direct product... it's the pairwise product as you said.

Do you mean the fact that it is an epimorphism? No, I didn't use it. Apologies to Kummer for not answering this in his post... I thought at first I used it for the reverse direction, but I actually didn't use it... I think you and Kummer are hinting at the same thing, but I'm not able to see it. :frown:

I'm not seeing how to use the fact that it is an epimorphism... If we let a = [tex]\phi^{-1}(a')[/tex] and let b=[tex]\phi^{-1}(b')[/tex] I'm not able to see why we couldn't have an element x outside of ab such that [tex]\phi(x)[/tex] belongs to a'b'... I know that it is related to the fact that [tex]\phi[/tex] is an epimorphism...

Last edited:

1. What is identity for ideals?

Identity for ideals refers to a person's sense of self and their beliefs, values, and principles that guide their behavior and decision-making. It is an important aspect of one's personal and professional development.

2. How can I develop a strong sense of identity for my ideals?

Developing a strong identity for ideals takes time and self-reflection. It involves understanding your values, beliefs, and principles, and aligning your actions with them. It also requires being open to learning and growth, and being true to your authentic self.

3. Can my identity for ideals change over time?

Yes, your identity for ideals can change as you gain new experiences, encounter different perspectives, and go through personal growth and development. It is important to regularly reflect on your identity and make adjustments as needed.

4. How can I stay true to my identity for ideals in challenging situations?

Staying true to your identity for ideals in challenging situations requires self-awareness, resilience, and determination. It can be helpful to have a support system, engage in self-care practices, and remind yourself of your values and principles.

5. How can I use my identity for ideals to make a positive impact in the world?

Your identity for ideals can be a powerful tool for creating positive change in the world. By staying true to your values and principles, you can inspire others and contribute to creating a more just and equitable society.