1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with indefinite integral

1. Jul 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem reads(from the 4th edition of Stewart Calculus "Concepts and Contexts" pg. 394 #17):

Evaluate the integral.

the indefinite integral of dx/x^2*sqrt(4-x^2)

so this would read out as "the indefinite integral of dx over x squared times the square root of 4 minus x squared"

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried everything I know. I have been stuck on this problem for over 2 hours now and I just cant see what to do. The back of the book says the answer is

-sqrt(4-x^2)/4x

the frustrating thing is that using substitution I am getting to -sqrt(4-x^2)/x so I feel like I'm pretty close, or just have some careless mistake somewhere I am missing.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Try a trig substitution x=2sint

4. Jul 5, 2010 #3
    I did already... but I guess I did it wrong.

After the substitution I get to 1/4*integral sin^2t then do I go to the half-angle formula for sin^2t? By doing that I get 1/4*integral(1/2)(1-cos2t), then integrate to get 1/8*(t-.5sin2t).

after that I solved for t using the trig substitution above to get t=arcsin(x/2). I then plug that into 1/8*(t-.5sin2t) to get 1/8*(arcsin(x/2)-.5sin2(arcsin(x/2), which I know is not right :/.

5. Jul 5, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To do the integral of 1/sin(t)^2 you are making it harder than it needs to be. You don't need any half angle formulas. What's the derivative of cot(t)? BTW write something like what you mean as 1/(4*sin^2(t)). Using parentheses will save you spelling it out in words.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  6. Jul 5, 2010 #5
    well I see that 1/sin(t)^2 =csc(t)^2, and the antiderivative of that is -cot(t)+c so i get all the way too

-1/4*cot(t) where t=arcsin(x/2). Am I on the right track?

7. Jul 5, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you can figure out why -1/4*cot(t) where t=arcsin(x/2) gives you -sqrt(4-x^2)/(4x) then you are all the way there. Yes, you are on the right track.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  8. Jul 5, 2010 #7
    alright thanks a lot. Its really late and I'd rather not spend 2 more hours stuck doing the wrong thing. Your(and others) assistance is much appreciated.

9. Jul 5, 2010 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You aren't doing the wrong thing! Probably wouldn't take 2 hours to figure out why cot(arcsin(x/2))=sqrt(1-x^2/4)/(x/2) but you are probably right. It will take you even less time in the morning.

10. Jul 5, 2010 #9
    haha I know I'm not doing the wrong thing. I guess I meant to say im glad you told me I was on the right track because I wouldn't want to spend more time on this question tonight. 6 a.m. is calling my name for some calculus.

11. Jul 5, 2010 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sleep agreeably knowing you'll get it the first thing tomorrow. You are SO CLOSE. Nite.

12. Jul 6, 2010 #11
    Firstly it would be a whole lot easier to read if you wrote it in Latex like this:

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{x^2 \cdot \sqrt{4-x^2}}[/tex]

And I can give you the hint that in the chapter dealing with these types of integrals there is a hint on howto solve this integral!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  13. Jul 6, 2010 #12
    Cool! Where's the 'hint' located in the chapter?

Yes I can see that Latex is much easier to read. I guess I'll work on learning to use Latex.

14. Jul 6, 2010 #13

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Here is an alternative:
    [tex]
    \int\frac{dx}{x^{2}\sqrt{4-x^{2}}}
    [/tex]
    Use [tex]x=2\cos u[/tex] to transform the integral to:
    [tex]
    -\frac{1}{4}\int\frac{du}{\cos^{2}u}=-\frac{1}{4}\int \sec^{2}udu
    [/tex]
    What well known function has derivative sec^{2}x?
    when you see a factor of [tex]\sqrt{a^{2}-x^{2}}[/tex] your first thought should be trig substitution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook