1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with infinite sum.

1. Nov 14, 2011 #1
    Could someone suggest how I could go about calculating this infinite sum?

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}n^{2}x^{n}[/tex]

I'm having some trouble as this series does not have a constant ratio, difference or matches any standard series I can think of at the moment.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You derive something like that by looking at derivatives of the geometric series. You can sum x^n, n=0 to infinity, right? Take a derivative of both sides. What's sum n*x^n, k=0 to infinity? Now take another derivative.

4. Nov 14, 2011 #3
    So, take the derivative, do the sum then take the new derivative?

So the first sum would be the derivative of [itex] nx^{n-1} [/itex]

Or just look at the what derivatives I can solve that give me [itex]n^{2}x^{n}[/itex]?

5. Nov 14, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So did you get the sum of n*x^(n-1)? What is it?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  6. Nov 14, 2011 #5
    It's the sum of increasing derivatives of [itex]x^{n}[/itex].

i.e. [tex] \frac{d1}{dx}+\frac{dx}{dx}+\frac{d^{2}x^{2}}{dx^{2}} ...\frac{d^{n}x^{n}}{dx^{n}} [/tex]

7. Nov 14, 2011 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, that's not what I mean and it's not right. sum x^n=1/(1-x), right? Differentiate BOTH sides of the equation.

8. Nov 14, 2011 #7
    As so:

[tex] \frac{d}{dx}\sum{x^{n}}=\sum \frac{d}{dx}x^n = \frac{d}{dx} \frac{1}{1-x} = \frac{1}{(1-x)^{2}} [/tex]

9. Nov 14, 2011 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so sum n=0 to infinity n*x^(n-1)=1/(1-x)^2. Right? Now take a second derivative.

10. Nov 14, 2011 #9
    You mean

[tex] \sum n(n-1)x^{n-2} = \frac{-2}{(1-x)^{3}} [/tex]

Then do I remove the extra factor of x^{n-2} by adding on both sides to get my final answer?

11. Nov 15, 2011 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got a sign error in that derivative. If you know sum n(n-1)x^(n-2) then you can find sum n(n-1)x^n, right? They differ by a factor of x^2. Now n(n-1)*x^n=n^2*x^n-n*x^n. That's the general strategy. You'll need to pay some attention to the details of the limits to get the right answer.

12. Nov 15, 2011 #11
    I think I get the idea, but I'm getting something messy out.

[tex] \frac{2x^{2}}{(1-x)^{3}}+\frac{1}{(1-x)} [/tex]

To take care of the fact that the sum is between 1 and infinity not 0 and infinity can I just subtract the n=0 term from my calculated sum?

13. Nov 15, 2011 #12

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, just look at the n=0 term in sum n*x^(n-1), etc. You really can answer your questions for yourself.

RGV

14. Nov 15, 2011 #13
    Yes. I realise that came out a bit more stupid than I intended it to. My apologies for not being specific enough.

However, I was mostly thinking in general terms. I have a few more sums to work out, and I hope to use this strategy in more situations. To subtract the n=0 term (should it be non-zero) from a the result of the standard infinite to get the sum between n=1 and n=infinite makes sense to me, but I've often been wrong about these things before.:smile:

15. Nov 15, 2011 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are getting pretty close. sum n^2*x^n-sum n*x^n=2x^2/(1-x)^3, right? But I think you've got the sum n*x^n part wrong. Can you go back and fix that?

16. Nov 15, 2011 #15

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you think you will be having trouble at small n, just write out the first few terms explicitly; for example, [itex]S =\sum_{n=0}^\infty x^n = 1 + x + x^2 + \sum_{n=3}^\infty x^n. [/itex] Now it is perfectly clear what the first few terms of [itex] dS/dx \mbox{ and } d^2S/dx^2 [/itex] are.

RGV

17. Nov 15, 2011 #16
    Sorry, I realise now I wrote down my sum wrong on my paper.

Using
    [tex] \sum nx^{n-1} = \frac{1}{(1-x)^{2}} [/tex]

[tex] \sum nx^{n}= \frac{x}{(1-x)^{2}}[/tex]

Thus my answer is:

[tex]\frac{2x^{2}}{(1-x)^{3}}+\frac{x^{3}}{(1-x)^{2}} [/tex]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  18. Nov 15, 2011 #17

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Closer and closer. Now you've got sum n*x^n ok. But you don't really mean x^3, do you? Keep checking.

19. Nov 15, 2011 #18
    No, the x^2s cancel. This is becoming a vivid reminder of how I shouldn't try and rush maths in my head and should sit down with a pencil and shut up :)

20. Nov 15, 2011 #19

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe, so what's your final answer? I'm dying to know.

21. Nov 16, 2011 #20
    [tex]\frac{2x^{2}}{(1-x)^{3}}+\frac{x}{(1-x)^{2}} [/tex]

Which can be simplified to:

[tex] \frac{x(1+x)}{(1-x)^{3}}[/tex]

Which makes sense in the problem I'm doing, and maple agrees :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook