Help with initial value problem

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a specific initial value problem involving differential equations. The process of solving the problem involves integrating and using exponential functions. The final answer is y=5-(5-y_naught)e^t, and there is some disagreement about the process among the participants. Ultimately, the issue is resolved and the conversation ends with gratitude for the help provided.
cameuth
OK, so clearly I am missing something, because I know this is supposed to be a simple problem. It reads:

solve the following initial value problem:
dy/dt=-y+5
y(0)=y_naught

my process is as follows:
dy/(5-y)=dt
integrate
ln(5-y)=t+C
exponential both sides
5-y=(e^t)(e^c)
y=5-(e^t)(e^c)

solve for constant:
y_naught=5-e^c
e^c=5-y_naught

final answer:
y=5-(5-y_naught)e^t

My book disagrees with this answer slightly, can anyone see where I've stumbled in the process?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi cameuth! :smile:
cameuth said:
dy/(5-y)=dt
integrate
ln(5-y)=t+C

nooo :redface:

try dy/(y-5) = -dt :wink:

I'm sorry... but can you explain why that is. Intuitively what I see is
dy/dt=5-y
divide by (5-y) multiply by dt
dy/5-y=dt

I'm sorry again that I'm such a beginner at this, I just don't understand why you did what you did. I see that it gets me the right answer your way, but not why we go that path.

Because the integral of 1/(5-y) isn't ln(5-y). Chain rule.

(just got up :zzz: …)

yes … you missed out a minus :wink:

sorry for the late reply. I got the answer guys, and y'all were a ton of help. Seriously, thanks. It's been awhile since six months since I've done cal 3 and so my integrating has some rust to knock off.

1. What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem is a type of differential equation where the value of the unknown function and its derivative are known at a specific point, typically denoted as x = a. The goal is to find the equation of the unknown function that satisfies the given conditions.

2. Why do we need to solve initial value problems?

Initial value problems are essential in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. They allow us to model and predict the behavior of systems over time and understand how different variables affect each other.

3. How do you solve an initial value problem?

To solve an initial value problem, you need to use techniques from differential equations, such as separation of variables, substitution, or variation of parameters. The specific method used depends on the type of equation and the given conditions.

4. What are the challenges in solving initial value problems?

One of the main challenges in solving initial value problems is finding the appropriate method to use. Some equations may not be solvable by traditional techniques and require advanced mathematical tools. Additionally, small errors in the given initial values can lead to significant discrepancies in the solution.

5. Can initial value problems have multiple solutions?

Yes, initial value problems can have multiple solutions. This occurs when the given conditions are not enough to uniquely determine the unknown function. In this case, additional information or constraints are needed to find a unique solution.