Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Initial Value Problems

1. Nov 4, 2004 #1
    Hi, I have a Calculus test coming up and am very confused on how to start approching these types of problems (initial value problems) If possible can someone work these 2 different types of problems out and show some work so I know how to proceed with the rest of them? I don't think they are that hard, for some reason I'm just confused. Thanks

Problem 1: y' + 5y = t, y(0) = 0

Problem 2: y' = y/sqrt(t), y(1) = -1

Thanks again for all those who help!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2004 #2
    Problem 1: We first find a particular solution to y' + 5y = t. Suppose y_p = at + b, then the equation becomes

a + (5at + 5b) = t

<=>

{ 5a = 1
    { a + 5b = 0

<=>

{ a = 1/5
    { b = -1/25

Thus y_p = t/5 - 1/25 is a particular solution.

We must then solve the homogenous equation:

y' + 5y = 0.

This is a rather well-studied equation, y_h = Ce^(-5t) is the general solution (it could be solved with an integrating factor also). Thus, the general solution to y' + 5y = t can be written:

y = y_p + y_h = t/5 - 1/25 + Ce^(-5t). You can then use your initial condition to calculate C.

Problem 2: y' = y/sqrt(t) <=> dy/dt = y/sqrt(t) <=> 1/y * dy = 1/sqrt(t) * dt. What happens if you integrate both sides?

4. Nov 5, 2004 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Just adding to Muzza here:
    Problem 1)
    If you know about the "integrating factor"-technique, you may use this technique instead to derive the solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?