1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Integral Proof

1. Apr 16, 2008 #1
    I have posted a problem from my book below. I am having trouble with a homework problem similar to this one and can't, for the life of me, figure it out. The back of the book says the ansewer to this problem is 4/3. I can't figure how they're getting that. I've tried everything I can think of, and I'm not even close.

Could someone explain how to solve this problem? I hate to post it with no solution attempt, but I am lost.

Please excuse the sorry attempt at using LaTex..I wrote it out the best I could. Obviously, n is above Sigma and i = 1 is under it.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the form of the defenition of the integral given in Theorem 4 to evaluate the integral.

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\stackrel{2}{0}[/tex] (2-x^2)dx

2. Relevant equations

Theorem 4 states that:

"If f is integrable on [a,b], then the following is true:

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\stackrel{b}{a}[/tex] f(x)dx = lim as n --> [tex]\infty[/tex] [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]\stackrel{n}{i=1}[/tex] f(x sub i)[tex]\Delta[/tex]x

where [tex]\Delta[/tex]x = (b-a)/n and x sub i = a + i[tex]\Delta[/tex]x

3. The attempt at a solution

The answer is 4/3.

[tex]\Delta[/tex]x = (2-0)/n = 2/n

x sub i = a + i[tex]\Delta[/tex]x = 0 + (2/n)i

That's all I have that I know is right..
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Alright, so what do you get when you put those values into the formula of theorem 4?

Click on this to see the code i used:

[tex]\int_a^bf(x)dx = \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}\sum_{i=1}^nf(x_i)\Delta x[/tex]
  4. Apr 17, 2008 #3
    Alright, I finally figured it out. Now I feel like an idiot.

Thanks for the Tex code.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?