Need Help with Integral Proof? Get Step-by-Step Explanation | 4/3 Answer

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem that the person is struggling with. They provide the problem and their attempt at solving it, using the definition of the integral given in Theorem 4. They eventually figure out the solution is 4/3 and thank the other person for the help.
syphonation
I have posted a problem from my book below. I am having trouble with a homework problem similar to this one and can't, for the life of me, figure it out. The back of the book says the ansewer to this problem is 4/3. I can't figure how they're getting that. I've tried everything I can think of, and I'm not even close.

Could someone explain how to solve this problem? I hate to post it with no solution attempt, but I am lost.

Please excuse the sorry attempt at using LaTex..I wrote it out the best I could. Obviously, n is above Sigma and i = 1 is under it.

Homework Statement

Use the form of the defenition of the integral given in Theorem 4 to evaluate the integral.

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\stackrel{2}{0}[/tex] (2-x^2)dx

Homework Equations

Theorem 4 states that:

"If f is integrable on [a,b], then the following is true:

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\stackrel{b}{a}[/tex] f(x)dx = lim as n --> [tex]\infty[/tex] [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]\stackrel{n}{i=1}[/tex] f(x sub i)[tex]\Delta[/tex]x

where [tex]\Delta[/tex]x = (b-a)/n and x sub i = a + i[tex]\Delta[/tex]x

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is 4/3.

[tex]\Delta[/tex]x = (2-0)/n = 2/n

x sub i = a + i[tex]\Delta[/tex]x = 0 + (2/n)i

That's all I have that I know is right..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Alright, so what do you get when you put those values into the formula of theorem 4?

Click on this to see the code i used:

[tex]\int_a^bf(x)dx = \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}\sum_{i=1}^nf(x_i)\Delta x[/tex]

Alright, I finally figured it out. Now I feel like an idiot.

Thanks for the Tex code.

Question 1: What is an integral proof?

An integral proof is a type of mathematical proof that uses the concept of integrals to prove a statement or theorem. Integrals are mathematical tools used to find the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval.

Question 2: How do I start an integral proof?

The first step in starting an integral proof is to identify the statement or theorem you want to prove. Then, you need to determine which integral properties or theorems can be applied to the problem. Next, set up the integral equation and solve for the unknown variable.

Question 3: Can I use any integral formula or theorem in a proof?

No, you cannot use any integral formula or theorem in a proof. You must carefully select the appropriate formula or theorem that applies to the problem at hand. Using the wrong formula or theorem can lead to an incorrect proof.

Question 4: How do I know if my integral proof is correct?

To determine if your integral proof is correct, you can check your work by using a calculator or a graphing tool. Additionally, you can compare your result to a known solution or ask a colleague or professor to review your proof.

Question 5: What are some tips for writing a clear and concise integral proof?

To write a clear and concise integral proof, it is important to clearly state the theorem or statement you are proving and provide a step-by-step explanation of your solution. Additionally, use proper mathematical notation and clearly label all variables and equations. Avoid unnecessary steps and use proper grammar and punctuation to enhance the readability of your proof.