Solve Integral: e^(x)/(e^(2X) + 9)

• Thread starter foges
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, Willem's idea seems to be the best way to go when integrating a function of the form \frac{f'(x)}{f(x)}.
foges
Hey, just did a test and have no clue about this question:

Integrate:

e^(x)/(e^(2X) + 9)

Really curious how this is done. Thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the numerator is (a constant times) the derivative of the denominator. Can you integrate a function of the form [tex]\frac{f'(x)}{f(x)}[/tex]?

I thought that too at first, but then realized that the numerator is e^(x) and not e^(2x), which would have made it a lot simpler. had it been e^(2x) i could have used ln(f(x))

Do a change of variables e^x to z, this yields a standard integral of the arctangent.

Sorry, I misread that! Anyway, willem's idea seems the way to go!

Yeah i tried that on the test, but didnt get too far, probably cause i havnt worked too much with arctangents (arcsins or arccosins for that matter) in calculus.

I prety much put down (1/3)arctan(e^(x)/3), but it gave me the wrong answer (PS: it was the finite integral from 0 to ln(3), so i could test it on my calculator)

Well [tex]\int \frac{e^x}{(e^x)^2 +9} dx[/tex] is what makes the substitution u=e^x easier to see. du = e^x dx

That makes the integral [tex]\int \frac{1}{u^2+9} du[/tex] which is of the arctan form, but if you haven't learned that then use the substitution u= 3 tan theta.

Thanx,
Well my formula booklet says: integral of 1/(a^2+x^2) = (1/a)arctan(x/a) + c

Using that logic and substitution, i got: (1/3)arctan(e^(x)/3), which isn't right. what did i do wrong here?

Using e^x =3tan(theta) I am left with dx= 3sec^2(theta) d(theta), which turns out ugly

Forget about replacing u with e^x with respect to my suggested substitution for now.

[tex]\int \frac{1}{u^2+3^2} du = \frac{1}{3} \int \frac{1}{\sec^2 \theta} \cdot \sec^2 \theta d\theta = \frac{1}{3} \theta + C = \frac{1}{3} \arctan (u/3) + C = \frac{1}{3} \arctan (\frac{e^x}{3}) +C[/tex] which turns out the same as your formula booklet! that's because for solving that general integral, we use u=a tan theta!

Why in the world do you think that's not correct!

Last edited:
for two reasons, firstly because calculating the finite ingtegral from 0 to ln(3) i get a different answer than using that formula (TI-83 plus). Secondly, when graphing that equation and the original equation it doesn't look like the first derivative to me.

Maybe I am just screwed up and tried everything in the wrong mode or something. Using that formula, the answer will be in radians right?

Thanx for your time btw

When EVER we do calculus, everything is in Radians thanks :P

Now the answer I get is [itex]\pi/12 - 1/3 \arctan (1/3)[/itex], which turns out around 0.154549203. If that TI 83 plus is different, then I can finally be assured i know more than a calculator.

foges, when you say taking the finite integral from 0 to ln(3), you mean you take the integral from 0 to ln(3) of the original integral in your first post, then compare it to

[tex]\frac{1}{3}*(artcan(e^{ln(3)}/3) - arctan(e^0/3))[/tex]

Ok, just re did it on my calculator and i got that answer, so strange, maybe i subtracted arctan(0) or had it in the wrong mode or something. Anyways, thanks for the help.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is used to solve problems in calculus and physics.

2. How do I solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you can use various methods such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. In this particular integral, you can use the substitution method by letting u = e^x and du = e^x dx, which will transform the integral into a simpler form.

3. What is the best way to approach this particular integral?

The best way to solve this integral is by using the substitution method as mentioned above. This will simplify the integral and make it easier to solve. You can also use online tools or software to solve the integral for you.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve this integral?

Yes, you can use a calculator or online integral solver to solve this integral. However, it is important to understand the steps and methods used to solve it manually in order to fully grasp the concept of integrals.

5. Are there any important properties of integrals that I should know?

Yes, there are several important properties of integrals that are used in solving various problems. Some of these include the linearity property, the power rule, and the substitution rule. It is important to understand these properties to effectively solve integrals.