How to Prove the Area Between Two Curves with Integration Algebra?

In summary: I am still having abit trouble . In summary, the area between two curves is given by A=\frac{n-1}{n+1}
bayan
Howdy felles.

I have a question which I find rather confusing, and that is to prove that the area between two curves is given by [tex]A=\frac{n-1}{n+1} [/tex] where n is the power of X.

The equation is [tex]A=\int X^\frac{1}{n} dx - \int X^n dx[/tex]

Could someone please show me how to get this to equal to [tex]A=\frac{n-1}{n+1} [/tex]

I had a very diffrent answer. Plz help

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Are there limits on those integrals ?

The limits are from 0 to 1

First do the integrals
[tex]=\int_0^1 x^\frac{1}{n} dx[/tex]
and
[tex]=\int_0^1 x^n dx[/tex]
Then simplify and get a common denominator.
What did you get for the integrals?

Last edited:
I am preety sure mine was wrong as I ended up with a diffrent answer. Can some one please check where I made mistake>

[tex]A=\int X^\frac {1}{n} dx - \int X^n dx[/tex]
[tex]A=\frac {[X^\frac {1}{n}+1]}{\frac {1}{n}+1} - \frac {[X^n+1}{n+1]}[/tex] Cant seem to make any progress from here onwards. All I do is make a massive mess of it and I have to do it again without any good signs.

Would really appreciate if anyone could help me.

I am preety sure mine was wrong as I ended up with a diffrent answer. Can some one please check where I made mistake>

[tex]A=\int X^\frac {1}{n} dx - \int X^n dx[/tex]
[tex]A=\frac {X^\frac {1}{n+1}}{\frac {1}{n}+1} - \frac {X^n+1}{n+1}[/tex] Cant seem to make any progress from here onwards. All I do is make a massive mess of it and I have to do it again without any good signs.

Would really appreciate if anyone could help me.

Also the limits of all these integrations are 0 to 1

Okay, you should remember that:
[tex]\int^{\beta}_{\alpha} f(x)dx = F(\beta) - F(\alpha)[/tex]
So I'll do for you the first one. And you can follow it to do the second:
[tex]\int^{1}_{0} x ^ {\frac{1}{n}}dx = \left[ \frac{x ^ {\frac{1 + n}{n}}}{\frac{1 + n}{n}} \right] ^{1}_{0} = \frac{1 ^ {\frac{n + 1}{n}} - 0 ^ {\frac{n + 1}{n}}}{\frac{1 + n}{n}} = \frac{n}{1 + n}[/tex]
So can you do the second integral?
Viet Dao,

I am still having abit trouble .

I am sposed to have [tex]A=\frac {n}{1+n} - \int^{o}_{1} X^n dx [/tex]

which I ended up getting [tex]\int^{1}_{0} X^n dx = \frac {1^n^+^1 - 0^n^+^1}{n+1}[/tex]
does it [tex]=\frac {n}{n+1}[/tex]

Nope. Your integral is 'nearly' correct. The last part is wrong.
Remember : [tex]1 ^ m = 1, m \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]
[tex]0 ^ m = 0, m \in \mathbb{R} - \{0\}[/tex]
So [tex]1 ^ {n + 1} = 1[/tex]
Viet Dao,

What is integration algebra?

Integration algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of integration, which is the process of finding the area under a curve. It involves using algebraic techniques to solve problems related to integration.

What are the basic rules of integration algebra?

The basic rules of integration algebra include the power rule, constant multiple rule, sum and difference rule, and substitution rule. These rules help simplify the process of integration by providing a set of guidelines for solving integration problems.

What are some common applications of integration algebra?

Integration algebra has various applications in real-life situations, such as calculating the distance traveled by an object, finding the volume of a solid, and determining the work done by a force. It is also used in economics, physics, and engineering, among other fields.

What are some common challenges when learning integration algebra?

Some common challenges when learning integration algebra include understanding the concepts of integration, knowing which rule to apply in a given problem, and practicing enough to develop a strong understanding of the subject. It is important to seek help and practice regularly to overcome these challenges.

How can I improve my skills in integration algebra?

To improve your skills in integration algebra, it is essential to practice regularly, seek help from teachers or tutors, and familiarize yourself with the basic rules and techniques. You can also try solving a variety of problems and challenging yourself with more complex integration problems.