1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with integration

1. Jun 27, 2006 #1

I have a question regarding some simple integrals. For the life of my I cannot seem to get the right answer. I know the solution to the problem, but my answer seems to missing an ever so important (1/2) from the equation. Here is what I have:

The probelm is this, ∫tan^(-1)x dx.
    [This is the indefinate integral of the inverse tangent of x]

When I work the problem out, my answer comes out to be:

xtan^(-1)x - ln|1+x²|+C

However, the answer that my professor and calculator give me is

xtan^(-1)x - (1/2)ln|1+x²|+C

Any thoughts of where this (1/2) is coming from?

To come to this answer, I first used integration by parts (uv-∫vdu) and used tan^(-1)x as u and (1/(1+x²)) for du. I then took x^0 for dv and x as v.

The next substitution I made was to set x = tan(θ) which made dx = sec²(θ) dθ.

To find θ after I completed the integration, I made a triangle and found that sec(θ) was 1+x². Substituting that back into the equation gives me my final answer of:

xtan^(-1)x - ln|1+x²|+C.

I hope that explaination made sense. I can explain in more depth if needed.

Thank you,

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2006 #2

Science Advisor

You don't have to do nearly so much work in the second integral--just substitute u = x^2 + 1. Most likely your error was in forgetting to introduce a square root sign when you determine sec(θ), but I'm not sure where that comes in at all since when I do it with your substitution I have to determine cos(θ) instead.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2006
  4. Jun 27, 2006 #3

Thanks for the reply. I tried to substitute u = x^2 + 1, but then du will then = 2x dx no? The second integral does not have another x to use. I don't know if I am saying that clearly or not. I guess what I am trying to say is that if the integral is to evaluate 1/(1+x^2) dx, then you cannot choose to substitute u as 1 + x^2 because du will not make sence. That is why you have to solve the eqation with trig substitution.

If I am totally off here, please let me know. This is just my thinking and if you know a way so that I do not have to use trig sub and just u sub then that would be awesome.

As for the second part of your response, I don't see where I should have a square root sign. Is there any way I could ask you to elaborate a little more?

Thank you so much for your help so far, I really appreciate everything.

5. Jun 27, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

No, Prace.
    You have clearly misunderstood how to do this, so I'll go through the details:
    The substitution [itex]u=1+x^{2}\to{du}=2xdx[/itex] leads to:
  6. Jun 27, 2006 #5
    You definitely do NOT have to usea trig substitution.

If u = 1 + x2

du = 2x*dx
    so it follows that
    du/2 = x*dx which is what you should have in that integral and so you can substitute du/2 in.
  7. Jun 27, 2006 #6
    OH MAN!! Wow, I can't believe I overlooked that. It completely makes sense now. Arrr... I hate errors like that where it is not misunderstanding of the technique or the problem, but a careless error that could have totally been avoided. Thank you so much for everyone's help and sorry if I wasted peoples time with careless errors.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?