1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Integration

1. Sep 6, 2008 #1
    Help with Integration :(

Ok guys i've been trying to solve this problem for a couple of days but no luck :( Please help me out!! I think I have part of it done.

I've added the problem as an attachment wasn't sure how to type it up properly. But when i solve for y' i get the answer 2t+e^(t^2) I am however having trouble solving the integral in order to get a value for y to plug into the equation.

Thanks for the help!!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2008 #2
    Re: Help with Integration :(

i am confused here, what are you really trying to do?

I mean, solve for y, or t, at the end?

It would be a good idea to post the entire problem, with the text, so it will clarify things.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  4. Sep 6, 2008 #3

Oh my bad here is the problem:

Verify that each given function is a solution of the differential equation.

So I was assuming to solve for y' and plug it into the initial equation and check to see if the condition equals 1.
  5. Sep 6, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

You are asked only to verify that the expression for y(t) satisfies the DE y'-2ty=1. If you work out what is y' (using the fundamental theorem of calculus) and substitute it into the DE, you'll find that it all cancels out nicely to give you 1 as expected.
  6. Sep 6, 2008 #5

Thats where i am running into some problems defender. I solved for y' and i got 2t+e^(t^2) was wondering if someone can check that. But also do I have to solve the integral in y before I can plug it back into the original DE? Those are the step that I am taking so far but I am having trouble solving the integral in y in order to plug it back into the DE. :(
  7. Sep 7, 2008 #6

Homework Helper

There isn't any way to evalute the integral in elementary functions and you do not have to. Your expression for y' should have the integral inside. I don't know how you got that but you have to use the product rule for differentiation.
  8. Sep 7, 2008 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are given, I suppose,
    [tex]y= e^{t^2}\int_0^t e^{-s^2}ds+ e^{t^2}[/tex]
    I think I would be inclined first to write it as
    [tex]y= e^{t^2}\left(\int_0^t e^{-s^2}ds+ 1\right)[/tex]

Now, to see if that function satisfies the differential equation differentiate that to find y' and substitute those formulas for y' and y into the equation. As Defennder said, you cant actually "find" y in terms of elementary functions and you don't need to. Since you have a product of functions, use the product rule. Of course, the derivative of [itex]e^{t^2}[/itex] is, by the chain rule, [itex]2te^{t^2}[/itex] and the derivative of the integral is, by the fundamental theorem of calculus, [itex]e^{-t^2}[/itex].
  9. Sep 7, 2008 #8

Awesome that works out well, thanks a lot guys!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?