Expert Help with Integration: Understanding the Area Under a Graph

In summary: The Bob (2004 ©)That is correct. In terms of approximation, you could think of it as a loop that sums up every rectangle.
liz
URGENT help with intergration

im doing some coursework where I am investigating ways of finding the area under a graph and i don't really understand intergration. please could someone explain it really thoroughly, id really appreciate it. thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

Physics news on Phys.org
liz said:
im doing some coursework where I am investigating ways of finding the area under a graph and i don't really understand intergration. please could someone explain it really thoroughly, id really appreciate it. thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

Well, integration (between two integration-boundaries a and b where a<b) really calculates the area under a given curve f(x). The start and end-point are the boundaries.

[tex]\int_{a}^{b} f(x)dx[/tex] really means that you sum up (denoted by the integration sign, which is the continuous variant of the sigma-sommation sign) the surface of little rectangles. The f(x) denotes the height and the differential dx denotes the width. So f(x)*dx really is the surface, you see?

This is in easy language the signification of an integral in one dimension. Mathematically all of this is formalised using Darboux-sums for the Riemann-integral. You can also use measure-theory to introduce the concept of integrals, which is then called the Lebesgue integral

You know, that integration is the opposite of derivation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_integral
regards
marlon

Last edited:
An integral is a Riemann sum with the limit taken to infinite, (or dx-> 0). What it does is it makes little rectangles of width Delta X and height f(x) throughout an interval a to b. The sum of these rectangles approximates the area underneath, and as the number of rectangles goes to infinite, the sum becomes exact.

Taking the limit of the riemann sum turns it into an integral ( I believe ).

whozum said:
Taking the limit of the riemann sum turns it into an integral ( I believe ).

Conceptually, the integral really denotes the summation.

It's the theory of Darboux sums and their minor and major rectangles of which the difference in area must evolve towards zero, that formally describe the theory begind integrals

regards
marlon

liz said:
Could you not say that [tex]\int_{a}^{b} y dx \approx \ \frac{1}{2} h [(y_0 \ + \ y_n) \ + \ 2(y_1 \ + \ y_2 \ + \ ... \ y_{n-1})] \ ,when \ h = \frac{b - a}{n}[/tex] ?

This will show you can approximate integration even if you don't know what it is.

The Bob (2004 ©)

The Bob said:
This will show you can approximate integration even if you don't know what it is.

The Bob (2004 ©)
No, because how do you think this formula was constructed in the first place ?

marlon

And one more thing for liz

INTEGRATION (from integer) (integral) and not intergration (as in inter grating)...:wink:

At least the name get it right...

Daniel.

So critical. :)

I suggest going to www.mathworld.com and typing in some of the keywords used in the replies. Specifically look up "Riemann Sum", "Integration" (at least on of these links will give you a brief history), and click on some of the links at the bottom of the page that catch your fancies.

thank you everyone for your help. and yes i know that it's spelt integration, i just put an extra r in automatically.

The Bob said:
Could you not say that [tex]\int_{a}^{b} y dx \approx \ \frac{1}{2} h [(y_0 \ + \ y_n) \ + \ 2(y_1 \ + \ y_2 \ + \ ... \ y_{n-1})] \ ,when \ h = \frac{b - a}{n}[/tex] ?

The Bob (2004 ©)

isnt that formula that Bob sugested the trapezium rule?
anyway thank you i am very grateful for the help form everyone.

Yes, there are many ways to estimate an area.

If you have any programming experience this might help. I used to think of it as a loop. Where the loop has a starting condition of A, and a stopping condition at B. Thus when you integrate a function from A to B, you are actually in a loop from A to B and the body of the loop (what its doing) is simply adding up every point the function "hits". The loop doesn't increment with integers though, instead it increments with infintesimals (really really tiny lengths). Thinking of it "looping with infintesimals" also will help you to remember the [tex] dx [/tex] in the integration notation with a problem like [tex] \int_{A}^{B} x^2 \,dx [/tex].

I hope that doens't confuse you more. It is obviously not a thourough explanation, but you can find that, at many places on the internet. mathworld is an excellent place.

Last edited:
hey I've just been reading a pure maths textbook and it says at one point (i hope your familiar with integration stuff so i don't need to put all of it): from the definition, delta A / delta x tends to the derivative dA / dx. i know that delta means "an increase in ...", and d is used to mean "a change in ..." so what does that mean?

Delta A / Delta X tends to dA/dX as Delta X goes to 0.

delta X = x_2-x_1, the difference between two points, so if you think of a curve and a secant line drawn between any two points, as the secant line connects two points that are closer and closer together the line approaches the tangent line.

1. What is integration and why is it important in science?

Integration is the process of combining different elements or components into a unified whole. In science, integration is important because it allows us to understand complex systems and relationships between different variables. It also helps us make connections between different fields of study and uncover new insights and discoveries.

2. What are some common methods for integrating data in scientific research?

Some common methods for integrating data in scientific research include statistical analysis, data visualization, and computer modeling. Statistical analysis involves using mathematical and computational techniques to analyze and interpret data. Data visualization involves creating visual representations of data to help identify patterns and relationships. Computer modeling uses mathematical algorithms and computer simulations to integrate data and make predictions about complex systems.

3. How can integration help us solve scientific problems?

Integration can help us solve scientific problems by allowing us to see the bigger picture and understand the interconnectedness of different factors. It can also help us identify new patterns and relationships that may not have been apparent when looking at individual data sets. By integrating data from multiple sources, we can gain a more comprehensive understanding of a problem and develop more effective solutions.

4. What are some challenges of integrating data in science?

Some challenges of integrating data in science include dealing with large and complex data sets, ensuring data quality and accuracy, and managing different data formats and sources. It can also be challenging to integrate data from different fields of study or disciplines, as they may use different terminology and methods.

5. How can scientists ensure the validity of integrated data?

To ensure the validity of integrated data, scientists must carefully select and evaluate the data sources they use. They must also ensure that the data is accurate and reliable, and that it is integrated in a consistent and transparent manner. Peer review and replication of results can also help validate the integrated data and findings.