Help with intuition of divergence, gradient, and curl

In summary, the conversation discusses the physical intuition behind the concepts of divergence, gradient, and curl. Divergence is described as the expansion or contraction of a vector field, while the curl measures the degree of circulation in the field. The gradient is compared to a "slope" and is defined as the direction of maximum increase/decrease of a function. However, there is confusion over the gradient of a vector and its physical interpretation as a 2nd rank tensor.
member 428835
hey pf!

i have a few question about the physical intuition for divergence, gradient, and curl. before asking, i'll define these as i have seen them (an intuitive definition).

[tex] \text{Divergence} \:\: \nabla \cdot \vec{v} \equiv \lim_{V \to 0} \frac{1}{V} \oint_A \hat{n} \cdot \vec{v} da [/tex]

[tex] \text{Curl} \:\: \nabla \times \vec{v} \equiv \lim_{V \to 0} \frac{1}{V} \oint_A \hat{n} \times \vec{v} da [/tex]

[tex] \text{Gradient} \:\: \nabla \vec{v} \equiv \lim_{V \to 0} \frac{1}{V} \oint_A \hat{n} \vec{v} da [/tex]

where ##V## is the volume, ##\vec{v}## is a vector field and the rest (i think) is evident.

as for the divergence, i understand that ##\hat{n} \cdot \vec{v} da## is a volumetric flow rate through a differential surface element. thus the integral is the total volumetric flow rate, and dividing by volume and the limit gives us a nice understanding that divergence is expansion/contraction of a vector field.

my understanding is predicated on the understanding of the dot product, namely ##\hat{n} \cdot \vec{v} da##. however, the curl uses a cross product. i understand a cross product to be a vector orthogonal to two given vectors. thus, ##\hat{n} \times \vec{v} da## seems to be some new vector in a field such that it is tangent to the surface at any point. if we add all these vectors ##\hat{n} \times \vec{v} da## up we should get some kind of body rotation about a point, which i think parallels the general understanding of curl.

however, what on Earth do we do about the dyadic product ##\hat{n} \vec{v}## embedded in the definition of gradient? i really don't have a physical interpretation of what is happening here, and thus i really don't physically understand ##\nabla \vec{v}##.

please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The curl is the degree of "circulation" in the vector field.
The gradient is the "slope".

You should get your intuition from using the definitions and not so much from the definitions themselves.

Likes 1 person
Simon Bridge said:
The gradient is the "slope".

but the gradient of a vector is a tensor. is slope still an appropriate description?

thanks for the response.

electricspit said:
The vector points in the direction of maximum increase/decrease of the function. The magnitude of the vector gives the traditional "slope".

http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/VisualizingTheGradientVector/

EDIT: The slope in each direction is given by the component values.

i think you're referring to the gradient of a scalar, ##\nabla f##, which returns a vector. but what i am referring to is the gradient of a vector ##\nabla \vec{f}##, which returns a 2nd rank tensor (a matrix).

You're right my mistake, sorry I didn't see the vector symbol there!

electricspit said:
You're right my mistake, sorry I didn't see the vector symbol there!
no need to be sorry. i appreciate your interest.

I thought you were after a conceptual understanding ... you can think of grad as an extension of the concept of "slope".

Simon Bridge said:
I thought you were after a conceptual understanding ... you can think of grad as an extension of the concept of "slope".
so if ##\vec{v}## is a velocity field would ##\nabla \vec{v}## be some sort velocity flux? but then what is ##\hat{n} \vec{v}##? is it the same?

1. What are the basic concepts of divergence, gradient, and curl?

The basic concepts of divergence, gradient, and curl are mathematical operations used to describe various physical phenomena, such as fluid flow or electromagnetic fields. Divergence measures the spreading out or convergence of a vector field, while gradient measures the rate of change of a scalar field. Curl measures the rotation or circulation of a vector field.

2. What are the applications of divergence, gradient, and curl in science and engineering?

Divergence, gradient, and curl have various applications in science and engineering, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They are used to model and understand the behavior of physical systems and to solve mathematical equations that describe these systems.

3. How do divergence, gradient, and curl relate to each other?

Divergence, gradient, and curl are related through the fundamental theorem of vector calculus, which states that the curl of a gradient is always zero and the divergence of a curl is always zero. This means that divergence and curl are complementary operations, while gradient is the inverse of these operations.

4. Can you provide a real-life example of how divergence, gradient, and curl are used?

One real-life example is the use of divergence and curl to describe fluid flow in a river. The divergence of the velocity field describes how much water is entering or leaving a certain region, while the curl describes the rotation or swirl of the water. This information can be used to predict the behavior of the river and to design structures, such as dams or bridges, that can withstand the forces of the water.

5. What are some common misconceptions about divergence, gradient, and curl?

One common misconception is that divergence and gradient are the same thing. While they are both mathematical operations, they have different definitions and applications. Another misconception is that curl only applies to rotational motion. In reality, curl can also describe the flow of a fluid or the movement of an electric field.