Exploring Magnetism: Tips for Conducting a Physics Investigation

In summary, the conversation is about an investigation in physics, specifically in magnetism. The person is using bar magnets and a hall probe to measure the magnetic field strength at different distances and angles. They are looking for suggestions on how to further their research and are open to any information or resources on the topic.
gorillawarfare
Hi, I'm doing an investigation in physics - magnetism, to be specific - and basically I'm takin 1 or 2 bar magnets, and a hall probe, and placing the magnets at different distances from the probe, and different angles to see the variation in magnetic field strength. However, I need to extend it a lot more than this, and I'm not really sure how. I should do more research but I haven't had much time.

I was wonderin if anyone could gimme some pointers on what I could do next, or gimme a site with some information on this topic. Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
At large distance from a bar magnet, the field is due to a magnetic diipole.
It is given by
[itex]{\bf B}=\frac{[3{\bf (\mu\cdot{\hat r}){\hat r}-\mu}]}
{r^3}.[/itex], with [itex]\mu=MAL[/itex], all in Gaussian units.
At small distances (r~L or r^2~A), it is more complicated.

Hi there,

It sounds like you have a great start to your investigation on magnetism! Here are a few tips for how you can extend your experiment and gather more data:

1. Vary the strength of the magnets: Instead of using just 1 or 2 bar magnets, try using magnets with different strengths to see how it affects the magnetic field. This will give you a better understanding of how the strength of the magnet affects the field.

2. Investigate the effects of different materials: You can also try placing the magnets at different distances from objects made of different materials (such as wood, metal, or plastic) to see how it affects the magnetic field. This will help you understand how materials can affect the strength of a magnetic field.

3. Explore the relationship between distance and strength: Instead of just varying the distance between the magnet and the hall probe, you can also measure the strength of the magnetic field at different distances and plot a graph to see how the two are related. This will give you a better understanding of how distance affects the strength of the magnetic field.

4. Research other variables that can affect magnetism: There are many other factors that can affect magnetism, such as temperature, current, and shape of the magnet. You can do some research to see how these variables may impact your experiment and try to incorporate them into your investigation.

Some helpful websites for further research on magnetism are:

- The National High Magnetic Field Laboratory: https://nationalmaglab.org/education/magnet-academy/learn-the-basics/strength-of-a-magnetic-field
- The Exploratorium: https://www.exploratorium.edu/snacks/exploring-magnetism
- Physics Classroom: https://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/magnetism/Lesson-4/Investigation-1-Magnetic-Field-Strength

I hope these tips will help you expand your investigation and gather more data on magnetism. Good luck with your project!

1. What is an investigation?

An investigation is a systematic process of collecting and analyzing evidence to uncover the truth or solve a problem. It involves conducting experiments, gathering data, and drawing conclusions based on the evidence.

2. Why is an investigation important?

An investigation is important because it helps us understand the world around us and solve complex problems. It also allows us to make informed decisions based on evidence rather than assumptions or opinions.

3. What are the steps involved in an investigation?

The steps involved in an investigation may vary depending on the type and scope of the investigation, but generally include identifying the problem, formulating a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on the evidence.

4. What skills are needed to conduct an investigation?

Some important skills needed to conduct an investigation include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, and the ability to collect, analyze, and interpret data. Good communication and organization skills are also important for effectively communicating the findings of an investigation.

5. How can I improve my investigation skills?

You can improve your investigation skills by practicing the scientific method, reading and analyzing research studies, and seeking feedback from peers and mentors. It is also important to continuously learn and stay updated on new techniques and technologies in your field of study.