Help with JOVIAL Programming: Books & Resources

• Thread starter MarkWilman
  • Start date
In summary, JOVIAL is an acronym for "Jule's Own Version of Algol". It was created by Jules Schwartz in the 1950s, and although it is no longer in widespread use, it is still used by the military.
MarkWilman
Hi all, I'm asking for any help on the languauge JOVIAL, I have searched high and low for any books on this language but to now avail. Any help would be greatly accepted, thank you.

Technology news on Phys.org
MarkWilman said:
Hi all, I'm asking for any help on the languauge JOVIAL, I have searched high and low for any books on this language but to now avail. Any help would be greatly accepted, thank you.

Good Grief ... I didn't know JOVIAL was still around. What does it run on? What company supports it?

IIRC it was an acronym for "Jule's Own Version of Algol".

I don't know who Jule was, or why he made his/her own version.

But in any case, it probably went past its sell-by date in about 1965.

Mind you, Algol was way ahead of its time, as a language. Not to mention the old joke about the documentation - to understand exactly what it meant, you had to be able to see the difference between a normal '.' , and a '.' printed in italics...

AlephZero said:
IIRC it was an acronym for "Jule's Own Version of Algol".

I don't know who Jule was, or why he made his/her own version.

But in any case, it probably went past its sell-by date in about 1965.

Mind you, Algol was way ahead of its time, as a language. Not to mention the old joke about the documentation - to understand exactly what it meant, you had to be able to see the difference between a normal '.' , and a '.' printed in italics...

It was actually "Jules (Schwartz's) Own Version of the International Algorithmic Language" (yes, ALGOL) and Jules Schwartz was a brilliant programmer but maybe not all that great at marketing. JOVIAL was a somewhat more practical version of ALGOL and was used by the military for a while.

It is a very old thought to be buried language, however the military still use it today...so trying to find as much info as possible.

Good grief. Does the military still use Ada as well?

Anyway, if they still use it surely somebody in the military can point you to some manuals, or are they using dog-eared hardcopy from the 1960's ?

What is JOVIAL programming?

JOVIAL (Jules Own Version of the International Algorithmic Language) is a high-level programming language primarily used for developing real-time embedded systems. It was designed in the late 1950s for the US Air Force and is still used in military systems today.

Why do I need help with JOVIAL programming?

JOVIAL can be a complex language to learn, especially for those who are not familiar with real-time embedded systems. Additionally, there are not many resources available for JOVIAL compared to more popular programming languages, making it difficult to find help and support.

What are some recommended books for JOVIAL programming?

Some highly recommended books for JOVIAL programming include "JOVIAL Programming: A Guide to Developing Automated Systems" by Francis J. Madden and "JOVIAL Language Users Guide" by the US Department of Defense. These books provide comprehensive coverage of JOVIAL and are ideal for beginners.

Are there any online resources for learning JOVIAL programming?

Yes, there are a few online resources available for learning JOVIAL programming, though they are limited. Some good places to start include the JOVIAL Users Group website and the JOVIAL Programming subreddit, where programmers can share tips, ask for help, and discuss JOVIAL-related topics.

Is JOVIAL still relevant today?

Although JOVIAL was developed over six decades ago, it is still used in many military systems and is considered a reliable and efficient language for real-time embedded systems. However, due to its limited use outside of the military, it may not be as relevant in other industries.