Help with Kinematics Problem

In summary, kinematics is the study of an object's motion without considering the forces causing the motion. A kinematics problem involves analyzing the motion of objects using displacement, velocity, and acceleration. To solve a kinematics problem, one must identify given values, choose the appropriate equation, and solve for the unknown variable. The three equations of kinematics are for calculating final velocity, displacement, and final velocity without time. Common mistakes when solving kinematics problems include using the wrong equation, forgetting to convert units, not considering the direction of motion, using incorrect values, and making calculation errors.
dougr81
Hi,
I am having some trouble with this simple kinematics problem. Here it is:

A skier is gliding along at 2.91 m/s on horizontal, frictionless snow. He suddenly starts down a 22° incline. His speed at the bottom is 12.18 m/s.

The first question asks for the length of the incline, which I got 19.0610 m.

The second question asks how long it takes to reach the bottom. Can anyone help me set this up?

Thanks,
Doug

Physics news on Phys.org
Show at least a little of what you've done so far, if you expect to get help.

Sure, I would be happy to help with your kinematics problem. To solve for the time it takes for the skier to reach the bottom of the incline, we can use the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. In this case, since the skier is gliding on a frictionless surface, there is no acceleration, so a = 0. We can also use the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as, where s is the distance traveled. Since we know the initial and final velocities, as well as the angle of the incline, we can solve for the distance traveled using the equation s = (v^2 - u^2)/2a. Plugging in the values, we get s = (12.18^2 - 2.91^2)/2(0) = 19.0610 m, which is the same value you got for the length of the incline. Now, we can plug in the values for s and u into the first equation and solve for t. We get t = (12.18 - 2.91)/0 = 4.18 seconds. Therefore, it takes the skier 4.18 seconds to reach the bottom of the incline. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

What is a kinematics problem?

A kinematics problem is a physics problem that involves analyzing the motion of objects using concepts such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

How do I solve a kinematics problem?

To solve a kinematics problem, you need to first identify the given values, choose the appropriate kinematic equation, and then solve for the unknown variable using algebraic manipulation.

What are the three equations of kinematics?

The three equations of kinematics are:
1. v = u + at (for calculating final velocity)
2. s = ut + ½at² (for calculating displacement)
3. v² = u² + 2as (for calculating final velocity without time)

What are some common mistakes when solving kinematics problems?

Some common mistakes when solving kinematics problems include:
- Using the wrong kinematic equation
- Forgetting to convert units
- Not paying attention to the direction of motion
- Using incorrect values for acceleration or time
- Making calculation errors