Help with kinetic energy and momentum of ball bearings.

• Thread starter Sirsh
  • Start date
The problem which I need help with is this, I've done an experiment in which there is a ramp. This ramp has a stationary ball bearing (B1) of mass (m) on it at a point, h. and there is another ball bearing (B2) at the lowest point of the ramp, of mass (m). Ball bearing (B1) is then released from its stationary position and rolls down the ramp with a unknown velocity and collides with (B2) in an ellastic collision. However, it is not a head on collision, (B2) is off set from (B1) hence they angle off. This is done off of the side of a desk. The reference point of the displacements of the ball bearings has been worked out before this has occured, we released (B1) down the ramp without another ball bearing in its way and got the displacement to be 0.933m +/- 0.011m.

Now, i need to calculate Momentum before and after the collision (arbitrary units) and Kinetic energy before and after the collision (arbitrary units).

The diplacements of the Ball bearings after this collision are:
Displacement (B1) 0.614m at an angle 49degrees. The displacement of (B2) is 0.782m at an angle of 37degrees.

The two ball bearing are of exactly the same mass, hence using the equations: Ek = 1/2mv^2 and Ep = mgh allow me to sort of work out a expression for velocity..

1/2mv^2 = mgh
1/2v^2 = gh
1/2(s/t)^2 = gh
t = s/[(2gh)^(1/2)]
v = s/t
v = s/[(s/((2gh^(1/2)))]
v = (2gh)^(1/2)

However, we were not supposed to work out the height of the ramp relative to the floor.

Please help me! thanks alot!!

Answers and Replies