Lab Calculations: How to Find Theoretical Yield

In summary, the student is seeking help on calculating the theoretical yield for a lab experiment involving the preparation of geometric isomers of butenedioic acid. They provide data obtained from the experiment, including the use of maleic anhydride and the resulting amounts of impure and pure fumaric and maleic acid. They also mention their attempt at solving the problem and ask for confirmation on their approach. The responder notes that the numbers provided do not work out and explains the general process for finding the percent yield of a reaction.
ThomasMagnus

Homework Statement

Hello,

I'm looking for some help on how to perform some lab calculations. We recently did a lab on the Preparation of Geometric Isomers. We were preparing the Cis and Trans isomers of butenedioic acid, i.e Fumaric and Maleic Acid. The Maleic acid was done by reacting Maleic anhydride with water, and the Fumaric acid was obtained by using the maleic acid filtrate and a reflux apparatus with HCl. Here is the data I obtained:

Maleic Anhydride Used: 4.99g
Impure Fumaric Acid: 1.24g
Pure Fumaric Acid: 0.82g
Pure Maleic Acid: 0.78g
8mL was added to the anhydride and heated at the beginning

I am supposed to calculate the theoretical yield for the experiment, but I cannot seem to find a balanced equation to use. I believe I am supposed to calculate the amount of product (fumaric+maleic) that can be produced from 4.99g of Maleic Anhydride. I also think that for every 1 mol of Maleic acid, there should be 1 mol of Fumaric produced (since they are isomers).

Homework Equations

C4H2O3 + H2O →C4H4O4

The Attempt at a Solution

Is this how I would go about it?

C4H2O3 + H2O →C4H4O4

Calculate the amount of Maleic acid produced (using the anhydride as the limiting reagent), and since the fumaric is just an isomer, this should be the theoretical yield?

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The theoretical yield for what? It seems from the description given that the goal of the lab was to start with maleic anhydride, hydrate to get maleic acid, then isomerize to get fumaric acid. But your numbers don't work out (given the fact that you report more fumaric acid than maleic acid, and even 100% yield would give you at most the same amount).

To answer generally how one would find the percent yield of a reaction, you start with a balanced chemical equation and the mass (or concentration) of your starting materials, then you determine how many moles of the limiting reagent you start with. You use this number along with the balanced equation to determine how many moles of the final product you would end up with if you had a perfect 100% yield. This number is your theoretical yield. Then you use the mass (or concentration) of the final product you obtain to get a number of moles for your final product. This is your actual yield. Divide actual by theoretical and multiply by 100 to get the percent yield.

What are lab calculations?

Lab calculations refer to the mathematical calculations that are performed in a laboratory setting to analyze and interpret data collected from experiments. These calculations are essential for drawing conclusions and making predictions based on the data.

Why are lab calculations important?

Lab calculations are important because they allow scientists to make accurate and reliable conclusions from their experiments. They help to determine the relationships between variables, identify patterns, and make predictions about future experiments or real-world applications.

What types of lab calculations are commonly used?

Some commonly used lab calculations include basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, as well as more advanced calculations such as percent error, standard deviation, and statistical analysis.

What tools are used for lab calculations?

Lab calculations can be done manually using a calculator, pen, and paper, or they can be performed using specialized software programs. Many labs also use laboratory equipment that can automatically perform calculations and record data.

How can I improve my skills in lab calculations?

To improve your skills in lab calculations, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with the different types of calculations commonly used in your field of study. You can also seek guidance from experienced scientists and attend workshops or courses on data analysis and statistical methods.