Solving Electrochemistry Lab with Al+3, Cu+2, Fe+3, Zn+2, KNO3

In summary, the conversation discusses an electrochemistry lab where different solutions of Al+3, Cu+2, Fe+3, Zn+2, and KNO3 were used in wells. Filter paper soaked in KNO3 was used as a salt bridge between the solutions for reactions. The confusion lies in identifying the reduction reactions for cells with positive ions. The summary then provides half reactions and EMF values for the different combinations of solutions. The conversation ends with a question about whether an EMF was measured and the type of electrodes used.
mikesown
I'm very confused with an electrochemistry lab. For the lab, we used Al+3, Cu+2, Fe+3, Zn+2, and KNO3. The setup was wells with all of the solutions in them. We soaked a piece of paper(filter paper) in KNO3 for the reactions, then used the paper as a salt bridge between the solutions of the ions for all combinations(i.e. Cu+2 with Fe+3, Fe+3 with Zn+2 etc.). What I'm confused with is how to write the reactions as both cells have positive ions in them, making them both reduction reactions, unless I'm missing something horribly wrong. Can someone help me? I have no clue what the oxidation reactions are. This is what I have so far:
[tex]
\subsection{\ce{Al^{+3}} and \ce{Cu^{+2}}}
\paragraph{\ce{Cu^{+2}} half reaction}
\ce{Cu^{+2} +2e^{-} -> Cu} .34V
\paragraph{\ce{Al^{+3}} half reaction}
\ce{Al^{+3} + 3e^{-} -> Al} -1.66V
\subsection{\ce{Cu^{+2}} and \ce{Fe^{+3}}}
\paragraph{\ce{Fe^{+3}} half reaction}
\ce{Fe^{+3} + e^{-} -> Fe^{+2}} .77V
\subsection{\ce{Fe^{+3}} and \ce{Zn^{+2}}}
\paragraph{\ce{Zn^{+2}} half reaction}
\ce{Zn^{+2} + 2e^{-} -> Zn} -.76V
\subsection{\ce{Al^{+3}} and \ce{Fe^{+3}}}
\subsection{\ce{Al^{+3}} and \ce{Zn^{+2}}}
\subsection{\ce{Cu^{+2}} and \ce{Zn^{+2}}}
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try to measure an EMF on each of these cells you created? If so, what metal was used for the electrodes in each case?

I can understand your confusion with the electrochemistry lab. It can be a complex topic to grasp, but I will try my best to explain it to you.

Firstly, it is important to understand that electrochemistry deals with the transfer of electrons in chemical reactions. In your lab, you were observing the reactions between positive ions of different metals. These reactions involve the transfer of electrons from one metal to another, resulting in the formation of new compounds.

To write the reactions, we need to identify the oxidation and reduction half reactions. In an oxidation reaction, a substance loses electrons, while in a reduction reaction, a substance gains electrons. In your case, the metals are losing electrons to form positive ions, so they are undergoing oxidation reactions.

Let's take the first combination of \ce{Al^{+3}} and \ce{Cu^{+2}}. The half reactions would be:

\paragraph{\ce{Cu^{+2}} oxidation half reaction}
\ce{Cu^{+2} -> Cu + 2e^{-}}

\paragraph{\ce{Al^{+3}} reduction half reaction}
\ce{Al^{+3} + 3e^{-} -> Al}

As you can see, the electrons lost by copper are gained by aluminum, resulting in the formation of solid copper and aluminum ions in solution. The overall reaction would be:

\ce{Cu^{+2} + Al -> Cu + Al^{+3}}

Similarly, for the other combinations, we can write the half reactions and overall reactions as follows:

\subsection{\ce{Cu^{+2}} and \ce{Fe^{+3}}}
\paragraph{\ce{Cu^{+2}} oxidation half reaction}
\ce{Cu^{+2} -> Cu + 2e^{-}}

\paragraph{\ce{Fe^{+3}} reduction half reaction}
\ce{Fe^{+3} + e^{-} -> Fe^{+2}}

Overall reaction: \ce{Cu^{+2} + Fe^{+3} -> Cu + Fe^{+2}}

\subsection{\ce{Fe^{+3}} and \ce{Zn^{+2}}}
\paragraph{\ce{Fe^{+3}} reduction half reaction}
\ce{Fe^{+3} + e^{-} -> Fe^{+2}}

\paragraph{\ce{Zn^{+2}} oxidation half reaction}
\ce{Zn^{+2

1. What is electrochemistry and why is it important?

Electrochemistry is the study of the relationship between electricity and chemical reactions. It is important because it helps us understand and control chemical reactions in a variety of industries, such as in battery technology, corrosion prevention, and metal refining.

2. What is the purpose of using Al+3, Cu+2, Fe+3, Zn+2, and KNO3 in this lab?

The purpose of using these specific substances is to observe and understand the different redox reactions that occur when they are combined. These substances have different oxidation states and can undergo oxidation and reduction reactions, making them ideal for studying electrochemistry.

3. How are redox reactions involved in this lab?

Redox reactions, also known as oxidation-reduction reactions, involve the transfer of electrons between reactants. In this lab, the substances used can undergo redox reactions, where some are oxidized (lose electrons) and others are reduced (gain electrons) to form new products.

4. What is the purpose of using KNO3 as an electrolyte in this lab?

KNO3 is a strong electrolyte, meaning it dissociates into ions when dissolved in water. In this lab, it is used as an electrolyte to facilitate the movement of ions between the electrodes, allowing for the electrochemical reactions to occur more easily.

5. What are some potential applications of the results obtained in this lab?

The results obtained in this lab can have various applications, such as in the development of new batteries, corrosion prevention methods, and the production of metals. By understanding the redox reactions involved, we can control and optimize these processes for practical use.