Why Is My DIY Laser Sound Project Not Working?

In summary: The modulations is coursed by small vibrations in the ground, as the laser and photodiode is alined, and the diode is abit reflective coursing the photon stream to bounce back into the lasers mirror and back to the diode several times. Making the smallest vibration or movement of the laser or diode to become amplified and audible as the diode is hooked up to a speaker. With a regular laser, the concept is the same, its only the medium that's different.
noianiz
ok, so I've seen the movie
where they aline a HEnE laser with a photodiode to hear the modulations in the photon stream.
i been trying to re-do it, and i just can't get it to work. I am NOT using a HeNe laser, I am using a normal laser from a pen, as i was sure the concept of the laseres "resonance" is the same, but as its not working I am beginning to doubt. I am not sure I am using a silicon diode either(got it from a friend,so can't check it, but its a very reflective diode, so again in theory, it should work.

can anyone explain me why its not working? is it the laser? is it the diode?
i really need this to work as its part of my bachelor project.

Best regards
noia
please reply here

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
noianiz said:
ok, so I've seen the movie
where they aline a HEnE laser with a photodiode to hear the modulations in the photon stream.
i been trying to re-do it, and i just can't get it to work. I am NOT using a HeNe laser, I am using a normal laser from a pen, as i was sure the concept of the laseres "resonance" is the same, but as its not working I am beginning to doubt. I am not sure I am using a silicon diode either(got it from a friend,so can't check it, but its a very reflective diode, so again in theory, it should work.

can anyone explain me why its not working? is it the laser? is it the diode?
i really need this to work as its part of my bachelor project.

Best regards
noia
please reply here

I'm at work, so I'm not able to watch YouTube videos. What is providing the modulation for your laser? Can you at least pick up ON/OFF changes with your PIN photodiode circuit?

Last edited by a moderator:
the modulations is coursed by small vibrations in the ground, as the laser and photodiode is alined, and the diode is abit reflective coursing the photon stream to bounce back into the lasers mirror and back to the diode several times. making the smallest vibration or movement of the laser or diode to become amplified and audible as the diode is hooked up to a speaker.

i already build a box with laser and a photodiode making it possible to transfer sound over laser using AM modulation.
now i want to combine the two, to make it as a interactive music installation.

so the magic here is the resonance from the diode and back into the laser and so on.
am i right when i think this is not only doable with a HeNe laser? but also with a "regular" laser as the concept with mirrors is the same, its only the medium that's different?

please?anyone?

Hello noia,

It's great that you are working on a laser sound project for your bachelor project. It sounds like you are trying to recreate a similar setup to what was shown in the movie, but using a different type of laser and diode. While the concept of resonance may be similar between the HeNe laser and the pen laser, there are other factors that could be affecting the success of your project.

Firstly, the power output of the pen laser may not be strong enough to produce the same results as the HeNe laser. This could be due to differences in the laser cavity design and the materials used. Additionally, the photodiode may not be sensitive enough to detect the modulations in the photon stream from the pen laser. Different types of photodiodes have different sensitivities to different wavelengths of light, so it's possible that the diode you are using is not suitable for your setup.

I would recommend trying to find a more powerful laser and a more sensitive photodiode to use in your project. You could also try adjusting the alignment of the laser and diode to see if that helps improve the results. It's also important to make sure that your equipment is properly calibrated and that there are no other sources of noise or interference in the setup.

If you continue to have trouble, it may be helpful to consult with a laser expert or someone with experience in this type of project. They may be able to offer specific advice and troubleshooting tips based on their knowledge and experience.

I wish you the best of luck with your project and hope that you are able to achieve your desired results. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best regards,

1. What materials do I need for a laser sound project?

The materials needed for a laser sound project include a laser pointer, a photodetector, an amplifier, a speaker, and a power source. These materials can be easily purchased online or at a local electronics store.

2. How does a laser sound project work?

A laser sound project works by using a laser beam to shine on a photodetector, which then converts the light into an electrical signal. This signal is then amplified and sent to a speaker, which produces the sound.

3. Can I use any type of laser for this project?

No, it is important to use a laser pointer with a low power output, such as a red laser, for safety reasons. High powered lasers can cause damage to the eyes and skin.

4. What kind of sound effects can I create with a laser sound project?

The sound effects you can create with a laser sound project are endless. You can mimic sci-fi laser blasts, create a laser show with music, or even use it for Morse code communication.

5. Is this project suitable for beginners?

Yes, this project can be suitable for beginners with some basic knowledge of electronics. There are many online tutorials and step-by-step guides available to help you with the project. However, it is important to always follow safety precautions when working with lasers.