1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Law of Cosines

1. Apr 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ship sailing due east in the North Atlantic has been warned to change course to avoid a group of icebergs. The captain turns at point A and sails on a bearing of 62° for a while, then changes course again at point C to a bearing of 115° until the ship reaches its original course at point B. The distance between point A and B is 50 miles. How much farther did the ship have to travel to avoid the icebergs?

2. Relevant equations
    a2 = b2 + c2 - 2bc*cosA
    b2 = a2 + c2 - 2ac*cosB
    c2 = a2 + b2 - 2ab*cosC

a/sinA = b/sinB = c/sin C

3. The attempt at a solution
    I figured out all of the angles, but I only have one side, and I can't get the numbers to work in any of the law of cosines equations. I don't know if I should try law of sines, because my professor told me not to use law of sines with any angles greater than 90°. I think making a system of equations in this problem would be too complicated, I'm sure there's an easier way somewhere. Help please?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2012 #2
    Oh! Nevermind, law of sines worked just fine. My professor is a poopyhead!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook