Lenz's Law Homework: Calculating Induced Current & Magnetic Force

In summary: And finally for part B, we know that the net force is zero. According to your answer, the ring will stay at the same height regardless of what the net force is.
physicsdawg

Homework Statement

A small metel ring, as illustrated by the picture, is dropped into a region of constant magnetic field.

For regions 1, 2 and 3, determine
(a) whether the induced current is clockwise, counterclockwise, or zero
(b) whether the magnetic force on the ring upward, downward, or zero

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n343/physicsdude69/phys3.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that

1. The induced current is counterclockwise
2. The current is zero
3. The current is clockwise

I am not sure about these answers though, and I have no idea how to solve for the direction of force. Please explain your answers if you can help me thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

Let's look at position 1. The ring is entering the magnetic field so the out-of-page magnetic field increases. The current starts to run in such a way that the induced magnetic field opposes the change in the actual field. So what will be the direction of the induced field? Consequently, using the RHR, what will be the direction of the current?

okay so it looks like i had reversed it then

a. should be clockwise
b. zero
c. counterclockwise

to counter the into page

but still how can i figure out the forces...this whole RHR technique confuses me so much and is so frustrating to visualize

correct.
Now for the forces, for the first one, you know current is going clockwise and only the bottom part of the ring is in the magnetic field. So the net force on the ring will be the net force on the very bottom part of the ring (there is a force on the left and right sides that are also in the field but they get canceled out by each other). So for #1, which way will the force be?

hmm so will the net force act then against the object?

such that for
a. Up
b. zero
c. down

right

Hi physicsdawg,

physicsdawg said:
hmm so will the net force act then against the object?

such that for
a. Up
b. zero
c. down

I believe one of those answers is not right for the force on the ring. Try again to apply cryptoguy's advice from post #6 carefully to all three cases. Do you see which one is incorrect?

yeeep, thanks for the catch alphysicist, much obliged

hmm still confused, would the force then be pushing down for the first part? and the last 2 right? if I'm wrong could you tell me why i have a test today and want to know these problem explanations in and out

No, the first one is in fact upwards. You know that on the bottom part of the ring, current runs to the left, according to your answer in a. Apply the RHR. You'll see that the force on the bottom of the ring points upwards.

Now take a look at part C. Now, which way does the current run in the top part (the only uncanceled part of the ring affected by the magnetic field)? Apply the RHR again and you will get the answer.

aah so it will also be up?

correct

What is Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that states that the direction of an induced current in a conductor will always oppose the change that caused it.

What is the significance of Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law is significant because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of induced currents in conductors, which is crucial in many practical applications such as generators, transformers, and motors.

How is Lenz's Law related to Faraday's Law?

Lenz's Law is a consequence of Faraday's Law of electromagnetic induction. Faraday's Law states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electromotive force (EMF) in a conductor, and Lenz's Law explains the direction of this induced EMF.

What is the right-hand rule in Lenz's Law?

The right-hand rule in Lenz's Law is used to determine the direction of the induced current in a conductor. It states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the changing magnetic field, then the direction of your curled fingers will indicate the direction of the induced current.

How is Lenz's Law applied in everyday life?

Lenz's Law is applied in many everyday devices, such as generators, motors, and transformers. It is also used in electromagnetic brakes, which use Lenz's Law to create a force that opposes the motion of a conductor, thus slowing down or stopping the object.