Sketch Level Curves for z=0 and z=1: Tips and Tricks for Accurate Plotting

• Thread starter ronho1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curves
In summary: The level curve will be a saddle that is rising/steep around the xz plane and going flatter around z=0.
ronho1234
sketch the level curve z=(x^2-2y+6)/(3x^2+y) at heights z=0 and z=1

i have already compute the 2 equations for the 2 z values and drawn it in 2d but when it comes to plotting it with the extra z axis i don't know what to do. please help...

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if you have your 3-d axes, then at z=0 you simply draw the equation you found (always stick on the plane z=0 and draw it as you would have drawn the equation in 2-d on the x-y axis) then at z=1 draw the second equation.

You do not need to draw the z axis. Plot the level curves in 2D on the x,y plane and mark the curves with z=0 and z=1. Think of a map, the level lines are marked with the height.

ehild

umm okay so if i draw my two equations on a xy plane i get a concave up with intersect 3 for z=0 and for z=1 i get a concave down intersect 2 and roots -root3 and root3... so are you telling just to leave it at that?...

and for a 3d axis because i have situated my x at the bottom the y then z anticlockwise this will mean that my concave up parabola would be flat on the y-axis and my concave down will be like a saddle-like... i just can't see what the final level curve is suppose to look like when i have two separate parabolas

Yes sorry, as ehild said, your level curves should be drawn in 2d on the x-y plane with a label of which z value it's following.

If you're struggling to figure out what the shape of curve in 3d space is supposed to look like, try solve the equation for y and see if that sheds any light:

[tex]z=\frac{x^2-2y+6}{3x^2+y}[/tex]

[tex]3zx^2+3zy=x^2-2y+6[/tex]

[tex](3z-2)y=(1-3z)x^2+6[/tex]

[tex]y=\frac{(1-3z)x^2+6}{3z-2}[/tex]

Now what we can gather from this is that for each level curve of z, we will get some parabola of the form [itex]ax^2+b[/itex] for some constants a,b so the parabola will vary from being concave up and concave down, with differing intersections on the y-axis. This would suggest it has the shape of a saddle, yes?

yes i kinda get what you're saying its just that because i have two separate parabolas on my xyz axis i don't know where the critical point on the saddle would be and where it would connect and how exactly its suppose to look like...

since because the question asks only for z=0 and z=1 should i just leave 2 separate parabolas on my xyz axes completely separate of should i have them opposite each other on a xy plane labelled z=0 and z=1?

ronho1234 said:
yes i kinda get what you're saying its just that because i have two separate parabolas on my xyz axis i don't know where the critical point on the saddle would be and where it would connect and how exactly its suppose to look like...
Well can you figure out what value of z the parabola goes from a positive to a negative concavity? Take a look at the function y=f(x,z).

ronho1234 said:
since because the question asks only for z=0 and z=1 should i just leave 2 separate parabolas on my xyz axes completely separate of should i have them opposite each other on a xy plane labelled z=0 and z=1?

On your xyz axes you should have the parabola drawn at z=0, and the other parabola drawn at z=1. This is to be used as a template to help you draw the curve for all z.

For example, if I wanted to draw [itex]z=x^2+y^2[/itex] then if I take a few level curves, say for z=0,1,2 then I can use those to get a rough idea of what it should look like in 3-d, and it'll turn out as so:

http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=z%3Dx%5E2%2By%5E2

umm so i did the double derivative of y=f(x,z) and i found z= 1/3 so is it at this point that the concavity changes?
i did try to draw some level curves on the xy plane for z=2 and z=3 i found out that they were both concave down, so i would have z=o level curve concave up and z=1 z=2 z=3 concave curve concave down , so if these values were to be plotted on an xyz graph would this mean that my final level curve by a saddle that is rising/steep around the xz plane and going flatter around z=0 where the y-axis is?

sorry if this is going on for a long while i just can't seem to get it...

1. What are level curves?

Level curves, also known as contour curves, are lines on a graph that connect points with the same value of a given function. They represent the points on a surface where the function has the same output.

2. How do level curves help in visualizing a function?

Level curves provide a visual representation of a function's output at different points on a surface. By plotting multiple level curves together, we can see how the function changes in value across different points, giving us a better understanding of its behavior.

3. How are level curves useful in mathematics?

Level curves are used in a variety of mathematical applications, such as optimization, mapping, and analyzing data. They help us understand the behavior of a function and can aid in solving complex problems.

4. What information can be obtained from level curves?

Level curves can provide information about the behavior of a function, such as its maximum and minimum values, and the locations of critical points. They can also help identify patterns and trends in data.

5. How are level curves related to gradient descent?

Gradient descent is an optimization algorithm that uses level curves to find the minimum value of a function. By following the direction of the steepest descent of the level curves, the algorithm can converge to the minimum point, making it a useful tool in machine learning and numerical analysis.