1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Lie Algebra

1. Jul 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have the Casimir second order operator:
    C= Ʃ gij aiaj
    and the Lie Algebra for the bases a:
    [as,al]= fpsl ap
    where f are the structure factors.

I need to show that C commutes with all a, so that:
    [C,ar]=0

2. Relevant equations
    gij = Ʃ fkilfljk

(Jacobi identity for f is known, as well as it's antisymmetry to the lower indices)

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I go and write:
    (I am using Einstein's notation so that I won't keep the Sum signs, same indices are being added)
    [C,ar]=gij [aiaj,ar]
    =gij { ai [aj,ar] + [ai,ar ] aj }
    =gij { fpjr aiap + fpir apaj }

Here starts my problem:
    I can't show that the above is zero... Any idea?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2012 #2
    Hmm...I have usually seen the Casimir operators defined as being elements of the centre of the universal enveloping algebra and then defining the structure constants, but I guess we can go the other direction.

Without doing all the calculations, there are still a few more lines that we could add here that might lead to something fruitful. In particular, it seems to be that [itex] g_{ij} [/itex] is symmetric via its definition in terms of the structure constants. Hence [itex] g_{ij} f^p_{ir} a_p a_j = g_{ij} f^p_{jr} a_p a_i [/itex], unless of course I've completely forgotten how to symbol push. Then you can factor out to get [itex] g_{ij} f^p_{jr} (a_i a_p + a_p a_i) [/itex] and introduce a commutator here to one of the components. Hopefully magic happens and things cancel, though I'm honestly not certain.

4. Jul 9, 2012 #3
    I have been thinking on it ( now it is just out of curiousity, since the deadtime is over).

I agree with whay you've written and I used it reaching the same result but I can't make a solution out of it.

If it was fijp it would be easier (i would have one symmetric*antisymmetric and I would get zero).
    Keep moving from your last result:

gij fjrp (2aiap+ fpis as)

I just used the Lie Algebra equation.

2gij fjrp aiap +gij fjrp fpis as

Changing the sumed indices p-->k for the first term, s-->k for the second

2gij fjrk aiak +gij fjrp fpik ak

So ak can come out:

gij (2 fjrk ai + fjrp fpik ) ak

That's where I reached it....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook