1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with light and lens problem

1. Feb 5, 2006 #1
    Here is the problem:

A converging lens with a focal length of 12.0 cm forms a virtual image 8.00 mm tall, 17.0 cm to the right of the lens.

I am supposed to find the position of the object. I tried using the lens eq. 1/s + 1/s' = 1/f where s is the distance of the object from the lens, s' is the dist of the image from the lens, and f is the focal point. I got s to be 40.82 cm but I'm being told it's wrong. Is there something im missing here? Any tips and points would be great.

Thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2006 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Careful with the signs!

For a converging lens, where must an object be for a virtual image to be produced.

Regards,
    George

4. Feb 5, 2006 #3
    to the right of the lens correct? does this change the equation in some way? :confused:

5. Feb 5, 2006 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And where with respect to the focal point?

George

6. Feb 5, 2006 #5
    Well my obvious guess would just be (s' - f) centimeters to the right of the focal point.. :confused:

7. Feb 5, 2006 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In order for a converging lens to produce a virtual image, the object must be between the focal point and then lens. I have been trying to get you to see that your answer of 40.8 cm can't be correct. I am reasonably certain that you have made a sign mistake, but I used a different sign convention (and thus different formulae) last semster, and I can't remember, off the top of my head, the other sign convention, so I'm not quite sure where you're going wrong.

When I use the convention with which I am familiar, I can:

1) get an answer that is between the focal point and the lens;

2) get 40.8 cm when I make a sign mistake.

Regards,
    George

8. Feb 5, 2006 #7

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What sign did you use for f and for s'? That`s your mistake. f is positive for a converging lens. What is the sign for s' for a *virtual* image?

Pat

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?