Help with Light-Refraction Project

• Thread starter !Live_4Ever!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, you are doing a science fair project on light refraction and you are having trouble finding a pattern between index of refraction and density. You are also having trouble extrapolating a pattern from density and the angle of refraction. However, you understand Snell's law completely and are just having problems finding a pattern and expanding upon the project. Any assistance would be much appreciated.
!Live_4Ever!
Hi I am doing a science fair project (Im in grade 9 just to let u no :biggrin: )on light refraction and to study how the density of different liquids affect light refraction.

I am having problems with finding a pattern between Index of Refraction and Density, also I am having problem extrapolating a pattern Density and the angle of Refraction

and also.. Why do some low density substances like oil have a greater index of refraction than higher density substances like water?

I understand Snell's law completely and stuff like that... I just have problems on finding a pattern and actually expanding upon the project...any assistance will be very much appreciated..

Physics news on Phys.org
!Live_4Ever! said:
I understand Snell's law completely and stuff like that... I just have problems on finding a pattern and actually expanding upon the project...any assistance will be very much appreciated..
You are learning a very important first lesson in science. One has to make observations and work out an explanation from observed facts. You are doing it the other way around.

You can start out with a conjecture to test it, but if the facts don't fit the conjecture, it has to be abandoned and you have to try something else until you find the correct relationship or theory.

You are insisting that there is a relationship between density and index of refraction simply because you think there ought to be one. Look at a list of materials and their index of refraction, such as here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tables/indrf.html#c1

Then plot out some of their densities. You have to find another table such as this one:
http://www.mcelwee.net/html/densities_of_various_materials.html

Do you see any relationship?

The relationship between index of refraction and the physical or chemical properties of the medium is very complex. It relates to the way light propagates through a medium and has to do with the atomic or molecular structure of the medium rather than its density.

AM

Last edited by a moderator:
If you think density is related to refractive index,Just draw a couple of graphs btw densityvs refractive index,density^2 vs refractive index,etc.Once you get a st.line,You know that is the relation btw density and refractive index.
It might help if you know graphs of some standard functions.

aaaaaah so hard... and my friends call me a Quantum Physics geeko... :rofl:

Thanks for your help guys! :biggrin:

1. What is light refraction?

Light refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums. This occurs because the speed of light changes when it travels from one medium to another.

2. How does light refraction affect our daily lives?

Light refraction is responsible for many everyday phenomena, such as the way objects appear to be distorted underwater, the formation of rainbows, and the way glasses and contact lenses correct our vision.

3. What are some examples of materials that can cause light refraction?

Some common materials that can cause light refraction include water, glass, air, and plastic.

4. What factors affect the amount of refraction that occurs?

The amount of refraction that occurs depends on the angle at which the light enters and exits the medium, the density of the medium, and the wavelength of the light.

5. How is light refraction related to the speed of light?

The speed of light is slower in denser mediums, which causes the light to bend as it passes through. This is why light refraction occurs.