Solving Logarithmic Equations: A Guide for Homework Help

In summary, this conversation involves a question about simplifying logarithmic expressions using the properties of logarithms. The person asking the question is struggling to solve the expression and is seeking help. The other person in the conversation provides a hint to use the properties of logarithms to solve it.
enibaraliu
Is log49/4+log9/35-log21/10 = log2/3 ?

I've tried and I'm here 2log1/5+2log2/5-log7=log2/4 , if I didn't do anything wrong, but I don't know what to do then , please help me !

Physics news on Phys.org

log(a) + log(b) = log(ab) is one of the useful properties of logarithms

enibaraliu said:

I've tried and I'm here 2log1/5+2log2/5-log7=log2/4 , if I didn't do anything wrong, but I don't know what to do then , please help me !
Please use parentheses! Does "log1/5" mean log(1/5) or log(1))/5? And please show how you got that result.

Hi enibaraliu! :smile:
enibaraliu said:

erm :redface: … log A + log B = log AB

log A - log B = log A/B

Try again! :smile:

What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that represents the number of times a base number must be multiplied by itself to get a given number. It is the inverse of exponentiation.

Why do we use logarithms?

Logarithms are useful for solving exponential equations and for representing large numbers in a more manageable form. They are also used in many branches of science, such as in chemistry and physics.

How do I solve logarithmic equations?

To solve a logarithmic equation, you can use the inverse property of logarithms, which states that logb(x) = y is equivalent to by = x. You can also use logarithmic rules, such as the product, quotient, and power rules, to simplify the equation before solving.

What is the common logarithm?

The common logarithm is a logarithm with a base of 10. It is commonly denoted as log(x) or log10(x). It is used in many scientific calculations and is the default logarithm on most calculators.

How can I check my answers for logarithmic equations?

You can check your answers for logarithmic equations by plugging the solution back into the original equation and verifying that it satisfies the equation. You can also use a calculator to evaluate the logarithm and compare it to the original value.