1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with logarithms

1. Mar 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let r = log9 31, s = log6 31, t = log9 6.

Write the following expressions in terms of r, s, and/or t. The change of base formula may be helpful in finding some of these logarithms.

2. Relevant equations

log 9 base 31

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not sure where to begin. I am confident with the different rules for logarithms such as log 5 + log 4 = log 20, but i am not sure how to switch bases. I am sure it has something to do with the equation r= log 31 base 9. All i am asking for is a little guidance.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Does your book show the change-of-base formula?

4. Mar 23, 2010 #3
    Yes it does, but i thought that you could only do that when they have common bases. what i mean is that you can only use it for example log 5/log 3 since they have the common base 10. No?

5. Mar 23, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The change-of-base formula can be used to change the base for any log expression with a reasonable base (base > 0, base != 1).

It's not clear to me what you need to do.
    Get rid of "base" in there, and use subscripts to indicate the base.

I can't tell if this is supposed to be log31 9 or log931.

If the advanced menu bar isn't showing at the top of the input window, click Go Advanced. From the advanced menu, click the X2 button, and it will add [ sub] [ /sub] tags, but without the leading spaces I show. The subscript should go between the two tags.

Similarly, you can get superscripts for exponents, by clicking the X2 button. That button puts in [ sup] [ /sup] tags (again, without the spaces), and you enter the exponent between the two tags.

6. Mar 23, 2010 #5
    Thank you for all of your help. I figured it out. the answer (per change of base formula) is log99/r. i was under the impression that we could only use the variables r s and t in our answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook