1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Logarithms

1. Dec 4, 2004 #1
    I am working on some homework about binary searches. In case you don't know, a binary search of x items takes at most log base 2 (x) searches to find what you are looking for (assuming it is sorted data of course). Now we are asked if using a phone book as an example, we have a reference to the first name on each page, how does that change the at most number of searches.

In other words, if I have x names in the phone book with y names on z pages (x = y*z). How much is that different than log base 2 (x). Using this method it takes at most log base 2 (y) searches to find the page and then log base 2 (z) searches to find the name on that page ( log base 2 (y) + log base 2 (z) ). It seems to be the case that log base 2 (x) = log base 2 (y) + log base 2 (z). Can any one prove this for me? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's not clear what you want to prove. If you sinply want to prove that, given x = yz, then log(x) = log(y) + log(z) simply recall the product rule for logarithms : log(yz) = log(y) + log(z).
    ...but I suspect you are asking for something else.

I'm not sure, so I'll allow you to clarify.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2004
  4. Dec 4, 2004 #3
    OR that 2^(x)*2^(y)=2^(x+y)

5. Dec 4, 2004 #4
    Actually that was all I was asking for, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?