Help with logic proof (this should be really basic)

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with a basic logic proof involving the use of natural deduction inference rules. The person is struggling to prove the statement A → B |- ¬A v B and is frustrated because they can easily do it using truth tables. They are seeking assistance and someone provides a proof using the natural deduction inference rules.
jamo_
help with logic proof (this "should" be really basic)

Hey I am new to logic (I've just started a masters)

I can't for the life of me prove this using only the natural deduction inference rules:

A --> B |- ¬A v B

I can do it easily in the other direction but I cannot do it in the above direction.

It's annoying as I can do it easily using truth tables!

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a proof using the Natural Deduction inference rules:1. A → B (Premise)2. ¬A (Assume)3. B (From 1, 2 by Modus Ponens)4. ¬A v B (From 2, 3 by Disjunction Introduction)5. ∴ ¬A v B (From 4 by Reiteration of Assumption)

1. What is a logic proof?

A logic proof is a step-by-step argument that uses logical reasoning and rules to demonstrate the validity of a statement or conclusion. It is a way to show that a statement is true or that an argument is valid.

2. How do I begin a logic proof?

The first step in a logic proof is to identify the statement or conclusion that you are trying to prove. Then, you need to list the given information or assumptions that you can use to support your argument. From there, you can begin to apply logical rules and reasoning to reach your conclusion.

3. What are some common logical rules used in proofs?

Some common logical rules used in proofs include the law of detachment, the law of contrapositive, modus ponens, and modus tollens. These rules allow you to make logical deductions and reach conclusions based on given information.

4. How can I check if my logic proof is correct?

To check if your logic proof is correct, you can use a truth table or a proof checker tool. These tools can help you identify any errors or inconsistencies in your proof and allow you to make corrections if needed.

5. Can I use diagrams or illustrations in a logic proof?

Yes, it is common to use diagrams or illustrations in a logic proof to help visualize the relationships between different statements or concepts. However, it is important to ensure that the diagrams accurately represent the logical relationships and do not introduce any errors into the proof.