1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with magnetism

1. Apr 19, 2005 #1
    A wire 36m long carries a current of 22 A from east to west. If the maximum magnetic force on the wire at this point is downward (toward the Earth) and has a magnitude of 4.0E-2N, find the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field at this location.

I have no clue where to start. What does force have to do with it, the given force, I know you're trying to find force.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2005 #2
    laker,

What makes you think you're supposed to find a force?

4. Apr 19, 2005 #3
    well it says find the magnitude and its location, magnetic fields have forces of magnetism

5. Apr 19, 2005 #4
    hence "magnetic force on the wire at this point is downward (toward the Earth) and has a magnitude of 4.0E-2N"

6. Apr 19, 2005 #5
    laker,

"magnetic fields have forces of magnetism"

Not really! You need something besides a magnetic field to have a force. What is it?

7. Apr 19, 2005 #6
    the Force is related to the current and the B field by:
    F=LIxB....
    L is the length of the wire
    I is the currect
    B is the B field

the bold letter means vector in my notation...

8. Apr 19, 2005 #7
    thanks i got it now

9. Apr 19, 2005 #8
    jdavel, your not helping, your complicating the situation, i know what im talking about more then you obviously cause you had no clue where start you just interrogated me

10. Apr 19, 2005 #9
    laker,

Sorry. I was just trying to get you to think about how to solve the problem for yourself. Fortunately for you vincentchan made that unnecesary by handing you the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?