Magnetic Field Strength & Direction at 36m Wire with 22A Current

• Thread starter laker88116
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetism
In summary, the wire, which is 36m long and carries a current of 22 A from east to west, experiences a downward magnetic force of 4.0E-2N from the Earth. To find the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field at this location, the formula F=LIxB is used, where L is the length of the wire, I is the current, and B is the magnetic field. The magnetic field is related to the force and current, and is represented by a vector. The answer was provided by vincentchan.
laker88116
A wire 36m long carries a current of 22 A from east to west. If the maximum magnetic force on the wire at this point is downward (toward the Earth) and has a magnitude of 4.0E-2N, find the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field at this location.

I have no clue where to start. What does force have to do with it, the given force, I know you're trying to find force.

Physics news on Phys.org
laker,

What makes you think you're supposed to find a force?

well it says find the magnitude and its location, magnetic fields have forces of magnetism

hence "magnetic force on the wire at this point is downward (toward the Earth) and has a magnitude of 4.0E-2N"

laker,

"magnetic fields have forces of magnetism"

Not really! You need something besides a magnetic field to have a force. What is it?

the Force is related to the current and the B field by:
F=LIxB...
L is the length of the wire
I is the currect
B is the B field

the bold letter means vector in my notation...

thanks i got it now

jdavel, your not helping, your complicating the situation, i know what I am talking about more then you obviously cause you had no clue where start you just interrogated me

laker,

Sorry. I was just trying to get you to think about how to solve the problem for yourself. Fortunately for you vincentchan made that unnecesary by handing you the answer.

1. What is the significance of measuring magnetic field strength and direction at 36m wire with 22A current?

Measuring magnetic field strength and direction at a specific location and with a specific current helps us understand the behavior of magnetic fields and how they interact with electrical currents. This information is crucial in many fields such as physics, engineering, and technology.

2. How is the magnetic field strength at 36m wire affected by the current of 22A?

The magnetic field strength at 36m wire is directly proportional to the current of 22A. This means that as the current increases, the magnetic field strength also increases, and vice versa.

3. How does the direction of the current affect the direction of the magnetic field at 36m wire?

According to the right-hand rule, the direction of the magnetic field at 36m wire will be perpendicular to the direction of the current. This means that if the current is flowing vertically, the magnetic field will be horizontal, and if the current is flowing horizontally, the magnetic field will be vertical.

4. What unit is used to measure magnetic field strength at 36m wire with 22A current?

The unit used to measure magnetic field strength at 36m wire with 22A current is tesla (T). This unit is named after the physicist Nikola Tesla and is equivalent to one newton per ampere per meter (N/A·m).

5. How can the magnetic field strength and direction at 36m wire with 22A current be calculated?

The magnetic field strength at 36m wire with 22A current can be calculated using the formula B = μ0 * I / 2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space (constant value), I is the current, and r is the distance from the wire. The direction can be determined using the right-hand rule as mentioned in question 3.