1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with magnetism

1. Nov 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

in the topic related to magnetic dipole moment.

The result is derived that m/l = q/2M

m= Magnetic Dipole moment of the substance[of mass M whose angular momenta=L] with a charge q

2. Relevant equations

Now my question to you is whether this "result" holds true for all the questions related to this topic.

Even in cases of non uniform charge distribution?..Or not in the cases wherein q= k*x/l or something like that when its given
    3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2013 #2
    The equation you have given, is the dipole moment of a classical charged particle - for instance an electron. The equation itself is incorrect, because such particles must be described by quantum mechanics. So it doesn't really "hold" for anything. Be careful about accepting the classical formulas :-)

However, I don't understand the rest of your question? The equation you gave is only for a single particle. So the equation has nothing to do with the total charge distribution in a material, since it only describes single charges.

You shouldn't try to understand too much of magnetism at the early stages. It is a major topic in solid state physics, where you get to understand better, how different charge distributions behave, and how many different type of magnetic properties, you can encounter.

4. Dec 1, 2013 #3
    I'd be lying if i said i got what you said completely.

Also, I completely agree with what you said.

I'm just planning on using these so called results in some questions directly.

Just for the purpose of acing the exam that's all.

It's just like getting the job done. Thanks btw :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted