Magnetic Dipole Moment: Solving Homework Questions

• Thread starter shivam01anand
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetism
In summary, the equation m/l = q/2M is derived to determine the magnetic dipole moment of a substance with a charge q and mass M. However, this equation only applies to classical charged particles and may not hold true for all questions related to this topic, especially in cases of non-uniform charge distribution. It is important to be cautious when using classical formulas for understanding magnetism and to further explore solid state physics for a better understanding of different charge distributions and magnetic properties.
shivam01anand

Homework Statement

in the topic related to magnetic dipole moment.

The result is derived that m/l = q/2M

m= Magnetic Dipole moment of the substance[of mass M whose angular momenta=L] with a charge q

Homework Equations

Now my question to you is whether this "result" holds true for all the questions related to this topic.

Even in cases of non uniform charge distribution?..Or not in the cases wherein q= k*x/l or something like that when its given

The Attempt at a Solution

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you have given, is the dipole moment of a classical charged particle - for instance an electron. The equation itself is incorrect, because such particles must be described by quantum mechanics. So it doesn't really "hold" for anything. Be careful about accepting the classical formulas :-)

However, I don't understand the rest of your question? The equation you gave is only for a single particle. So the equation has nothing to do with the total charge distribution in a material, since it only describes single charges.

You shouldn't try to understand too much of magnetism at the early stages. It is a major topic in solid state physics, where you get to understand better, how different charge distributions behave, and how many different type of magnetic properties, you can encounter.

I'd be lying if i said i got what you said completely.

Also, I completely agree with what you said.

I'm just planning on using these so called results in some questions directly.

Just for the purpose of acing the exam that's all.

It's just like getting the job done. Thanks btw :)

What is a magnetic dipole moment?

A magnetic dipole moment is a measure of the strength and orientation of a magnetic dipole, which is a fundamental unit of magnetism. It is defined as the product of the magnitude of the magnetic dipole and the distance between its center and the point where the dipole moment is measured.

How is magnetic dipole moment calculated?

The magnetic dipole moment is calculated using the equation μ = I * A, where μ is the magnetic dipole moment, I is the current flowing through the loop, and A is the area of the loop. This equation is based on the fact that a magnetic dipole is created by a current-carrying loop of wire.

What are the units of magnetic dipole moment?

The SI unit of magnetic dipole moment is ampere-meter squared (A⋅m²). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as joules per tesla (J/T) or newton-meters per tesla (N⋅m/T).

Can magnetic dipole moment be negative?

Yes, magnetic dipole moment can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the magnetic dipole is opposite to the direction of the magnetic field it is placed in. In this case, the magnetic moment is said to be anti-parallel to the magnetic field.

Why is magnetic dipole moment important in physics?

Magnetic dipole moment is important in physics because it is a fundamental quantity that helps us understand the behavior of magnetic materials and their interactions with external magnetic fields. It is also used in many applications such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and magnetic data storage devices.