Understanding Magnet Alignment: Answers to Common Questions | Homework Help

• Thread starter fredrogers3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnets
In summary, the conversation discusses the orientation of a suspended magnet in relation to an external magnetic field caused by another magnet. The first question asks which pole of the magnet points in the same direction as the external field. The second question asks about the orientation of a compass near a magnet. The solution involves considering the effects of the Earth's magnetic field and the second bar magnet on the suspended magnet, and using superposition to determine the final orientation.
fredrogers3

Homework Statement

I have found a picture of the diagram here:
http://imageshack.us/a/img850/3364/imageacm.jpg

The first question asks the following: Once the suspended magnet has aligned itself with the magnetic field, which of its poles points in the same direction as the external field produced by magnet 2?

The next question asks me to consider a compass placed near a magnet. The question asks "which way the north pole of the compass would point with respect to the center of the compass?"

Homework Equations

See Below

The Attempt at a Solution

I first drew the final arrangement of the suspended compass. Specifically, I drew the north pole of the suspended magnet "over" the south pole of the stationary magnet and vice versa. I also drew the magnetic field lines in as exiting north and entering the south pole of the magnet. With that in mind, I'm a bit confused as to how to approach the first question I have asked. With regard to my second question, is it simply asking me which way the needle of the compass points at that particular location?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think of the Earth's magnetic field caused by a huge bar magnet with its S pole near the geographic North pole. Sounds goofy but there it is.

What effect does the Earth's field by itself have on the swinging bar magnet orientation?
What effect does the second bar magnet, given its orientation, have on the swinging magnet?
Then use superposition to get your answer.

1. How do magnets work?

Magnets work by creating a magnetic field, which is created by the alignment of electrons in the magnet. This magnetic field attracts or repels other objects with magnetic properties.

2. What are the different types of magnets?

There are three main types of magnets: permanent magnets, temporary magnets, and electromagnets. Permanent magnets are made of materials that retain their magnetism, while temporary magnets only have magnetism when in the presence of a strong magnetic field. Electromagnets are created by running an electric current through a wire, and can be turned on or off.

3. Can magnets lose their magnetism?

Yes, magnets can lose their magnetism over time due to factors such as exposure to high temperatures, physical damage, or exposure to other strong magnetic fields. However, some magnets, like neodymium magnets, are more resistant to demagnetization.

4. How can I make a magnet stronger?

You can make a magnet stronger by increasing the number of electrons that are aligned in the same direction. This can be done by stroking a magnet along the same direction multiple times or by exposing the magnet to a strong magnetic field for a period of time.

5. What are some common uses for magnets?

Magnets have many practical applications, such as in motors, generators, speakers, and hard drives. They are also used in medical devices, like MRI machines, and in everyday objects like refrigerator magnets and magnetic clasps on clothing.