1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Major

1. Nov 6, 2004 #1
    I am hopefully gonna be off to University in Sept 2005,
    I am in the application process now, and I am looking for schools where I won't have trouble switching majors. I very interested in studying Physics or Engineering, my interests are too broad for me to decide based on what I like.
    My dilemma however is, I cant decide which I want to do. I know that they both require aptitude and passion for math and physics. They are both very tough and demanding (moreso for Engineering). I am aware also of the career choices, and although that is an important part, I am trying to chose based on simply enjoying the subjects. Anyone (especially anyone who had the same feelings as me) who can give some advice, I would appreciate it lots.

[oh... I'm also applying to some schools in Ontario, CA, which schools out of the following are best allround (EXCLUDING co-op!!) if you know : York University, Ryerson University, University of Waterloo, and Carleton University...]

Thanks Alot
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Waterloo is supposed to be a premier school for engineering (by reputation). See the forum for this sort of stuff at the top of the page (Academic/Career Advising)
  4. Nov 8, 2004 #3
    I was in a similar sitauation when I was applying to schools. I'm not sure how the Canadian system works but in the states you don't need to declare your major right away, so you've nothing to worry about. In fact, most people are in the same position as you. I'd recommend you give yourself some time. Take some physics and engineering classes your first year and then decide in which direction you want to go. The first year courses in each sequence would have a lot of overlap, too, so you wouldn't fall behind.
  5. Nov 8, 2004 #4
    hey cepheid, thanks alot, will do.
    hey future, this is helpful.
    I am applying to some US schools, so thats definately reassuring. I think the Canadian system is pretty much the same.
    thanks again
  6. Nov 8, 2004 #5
    It's never too late to change your mind.

It may be difficult, but certainly, you don't need to know what you want to do yet.
  7. Nov 8, 2004 #6
    You also might want to look at Washington University, in St. Louis. They have a excellent physics and engineering program.
  8. Nov 16, 2004 #7
    University Of Cincinnati has a good physics and engineering program + co-op opertunitys
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?