Deciding Between Physics & Engineering: My Journey to University

In summary, the individual is in the process of applying to universities and is looking for schools where they can easily switch majors. They are interested in studying Physics or Engineering, but are having trouble deciding between the two. They are aware of the demands and career opportunities for both fields and are seeking advice from others who have been in a similar situation. They also mention applying to schools in Ontario, Canada and ask for recommendations on which schools are best overall. The conversation concludes with reassurance that it is never too late to change one's mind and suggestions for other universities to consider.
neil_m
I am hopefully going to be off to University in Sept 2005,
I am in the application process now, and I am looking for schools where I won't have trouble switching majors. I very interested in studying Physics or Engineering, my interests are too broad for me to decide based on what I like.
My dilemma however is, I can't decide which I want to do. I know that they both require aptitude and passion for math and physics. They are both very tough and demanding (moreso for Engineering). I am aware also of the career choices, and although that is an important part, I am trying to chose based on simply enjoying the subjects. Anyone (especially anyone who had the same feelings as me) who can give some advice, I would appreciate it lots.

[oh... I'm also applying to some schools in Ontario, CA, which schools out of the following are best allround (EXCLUDING co-op!) if you know : York University, Ryerson University, University of Waterloo, and Carleton University...]

Thanks Alot

Physics news on Phys.org
Waterloo is supposed to be a premier school for engineering (by reputation). See the forum for this sort of stuff at the top of the page (Academic/Career Advising)

I was in a similar sitauation when I was applying to schools. I'm not sure how the Canadian system works but in the states you don't need to declare your major right away, so you've nothing to worry about. In fact, most people are in the same position as you. I'd recommend you give yourself some time. Take some physics and engineering classes your first year and then decide in which direction you want to go. The first year courses in each sequence would have a lot of overlap, too, so you wouldn't fall behind.

hey cepheid, thanks alot, will do.
hey future, this is helpful.
I am applying to some US schools, so that's definitely reassuring. I think the Canadian system is pretty much the same.
thanks again

It's never too late to change your mind.

It may be difficult, but certainly, you don't need to know what you want to do yet.

You also might want to look at Washington University, in St. Louis. They have a excellent physics and engineering program.

University Of Cincinnati has a good physics and engineering program + co-op opertunitys

1. What is the difference between physics and engineering?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It involves understanding the fundamental principles and laws that govern the natural world. Engineering, on the other hand, is the application of scientific knowledge to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, and systems that solve practical problems.

2. How do I decide between studying physics or engineering?

It ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. If you are curious about the fundamental workings of the universe and want to pursue a career in research or academia, physics may be a better fit for you. If you enjoy problem solving and want to apply scientific principles to solve real-world problems, engineering may be a better choice.

3. What are the job prospects for physics and engineering graduates?

Both physics and engineering have a wide range of career opportunities. Physics graduates often go on to work in research and development, data analysis, and teaching. Engineering graduates can work in a variety of fields such as aerospace, civil, mechanical, or electrical engineering. Both fields have high demand for skilled professionals and offer competitive salaries.

4. Is it possible to study both physics and engineering?

Yes, it is possible to study both disciplines through a dual degree program or by majoring in one and minoring in the other. However, this may require a longer time commitment and a heavy course load. It is important to carefully consider your academic strengths and interests before pursuing a double major.

5. What skills are important for success in physics and engineering?

Both fields require strong mathematical and analytical skills. In addition, critical thinking, problem solving, and attention to detail are crucial for success in physics and engineering. Excellent communication and teamwork skills are also important, as many projects in these fields involve collaboration with others.