Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with making an orthonormal basis

1. Jun 22, 2004 #1

Gold Member

I'm wanting to form an orthonormal basis from two non-parallel vectors.

[tex]a = \left(\begin{array}{cc}3 & 4\end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]b = \left(\begin{array}{cc}2 & -6\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Could someone please walk me through the calculations needed? Much appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2004 #2

Gold Member

I think I've finally figured out. I had it explained to me visually, which didn't make sense. By visually, I am referring to the whole vector "arrow" idea which always troubles me.
  4. Jun 22, 2004 #3
    Look up the Gram-Schmidt process.

Or consider the image I've attached. The vectors are probably pointing in the wrong directions, but it doesn't really matter. The red vector (call it [tex]a_o[/tex]) is orthogonal to b, and the green vector (call it [tex]a_p[/tex]) is parallel to b. Now, a_p is the projection of a onto b, and there's a nice formula for finding it:

[tex]a_p = \frac{a.b}{b.b} * b[/tex]

(It's easy to prove, see any linear algebra text). After some calculations, we find that [tex]a_p = \left(\begin{array}{cc}-9/10, & 27/10\end{array}\right)[/tex]. But since [tex]a = a_p + a_o[/tex], we have that [tex]a_o = a - a_p = \left(\begin{array}{cc}3, & 4\end{array}\right) - \left(\begin{array}{cc}-9/10, & 27/10\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc}39/10, & 13/10\end{array}\right)[/tex]. And so, we have "created" a vector that's orthogonal to b, so you can chose a_o and b as the basis vectors. (Of course, you've got to normalize them first, but that's trivial).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2004
  5. Jun 23, 2004 #4

Gold Member

Thanks very much for the explanation. Orthogonalization makes quite a bit more sense now. I've done some visual graphs with Mathematica, and that's helped quite a bit, also.
  6. Aug 16, 2004 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

the reason the projection of a onto b is ghiven by that formula is because of the familiar formula a.b = |a| |b| cos(C) where C is the angle between a and b. I.e. from triangle trig, the projection of a onto b has length |a| cos(C). so the vector of that length in that direction is obtained by multiplying a unit vector by that length. Now of course b/|b| is a unit vector in the direction of b,

so the vector parallel to b, with length |a| cos(C), is the product

|a|cos(C) b/|b| = |a||b| cos(C)/|b|^2 b = (a.b/b.b) b.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?